Pliny the Elder in Michigan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
I really want to try Pliny the Elder. Unfortunately that isn't something you can find or buy in Michigan. Anybody know or have an idea how I could get my hands on some???

Find someone on the west coast that wants to try bells, founders, or new holland and trade them. Pliny isn't that rare out there. You could also brew it there is a recipient on this site somewhere.

Trade is going to be your best bet, I sent some Short's, FFF's and Upland to a friend for some Pliny and Greenflash.

It's distributed on the west coast, CO and PA.

You can also buy it online and ship to MI while paying a premium.

Ebay?

anim_peep.gif

Don't go nuts getting some. You'll be disappointed. It's a good IIPA, but not that much better than everything else.

As much as I love Pliny, this is probably true. It will probably never live up to the hype for people who can't get it easily. I traded some for some Hopslam a few months ago and as much as I was looking forward to trying the Hopslam, I thought it was decent, not great.

Blackwellswines.com. You can order just be aware of shipping cost and heat. I ordered it in sub-frozen temps and arrived safely on a 7 day journey. It was a great ipa maybe not my favorate but definatly worth it and one of my favorates. They usually ship them out as they come in.Trade if you can to avoid shipping prices.
Hopslam and Hoptimum seemed to be compared often,but they are 10% where as Pliny is an 8%double-I dont think it fits that category as a 10% double is. Thats just one of the reasons I like it better.Its better drinkability.Like maharja its a 10% double but I wouldnt even compare that to pliney-its in a different range of a double.

Yah...I don't have crazy expectations for it. It was just one of those beers I wanted to try. I live about 20 seconds from Founders and about 45 from Bell's. So I have had my share of double trouble, devil dancer, hopslam ect....just wanted something out west that I had heard a lot about. Thanks for the input...looks like I might have to wait :/

I am going to Vegas in December....does it make it that far east? Anyone know?

Yah...I don't have crazy expectations for it. It was just one of those beers I wanted to try. I live about 20 seconds from Founders and about 45 from Bell's. So I have had my share of double trouble, devil dancer, hopslam ect....just wanted something out west that I had heard a lot about. Thanks for the input...looks like I might have to wait :/

I am going to Vegas in December....does it make it that far east? Anyone know?

I don't think it gets out to Nevada. Looks like Russian River only gets to CA, OR and WA with a little in Co and Pa too...which is kinda odd if you ask me but ok. I think there is a bar or 2 in those states that get kegs only, but I'm not positive about that.

Something from Shorts, Founders or Bells though should be able to scare up some fairly easily I would think. Basically a local $4$ trade.

I don't think it gets out to Nevada. Looks like Russian River only gets to CA, OR and WA with a little in Co and Pa too...which is kinda odd if you ask me but ok. I think there is a bar or 2 in those states that get kegs only, but I'm not positive about that.

Something from Shorts, Founders or Bells though should be able to scare up some fairly easily I would think. Basically a local $4$ trade.

You can buy bottled RR beer in and around Philly. I don't know which are available, though (Pliney might not be). I've seen sixers and cases of the sour beers there.

You can buy bottled RR beer in and around Philly. I don't know which are available, though (Pliney might not be). I've seen sixers and cases of the sour beers there.

Nice, I didnt know that. If your into sours too they are supposed to make some of the best.

I've been wanted to try Pliny the Elder for the longest time. I never was able to find it anywhere in West Michigan.

I just looked at some of the links people have posted, I cannot find it anywhere whatsoever, even in California. Every link I've found on this and other forums is either out of stock, pickup only, or will ship to California only due to popularity. The guy who said Pliny isn't rare in California, wow could have fooled me lol. :)

I don't have the time and energy to "trade," I'd rather just order from someone who can ship to Michigan and just pay the premium. But it appears that this is the rarest beer and the world at the moment. :cross:

The Elder is available in the Philly area by keg only. Usually when a bar gets a keg, they advertise it is coming and it rarely lasts a day. If you are in the area and want to see if someone has it, best bet is to call the distributor, Origlio Beverage 215-698-9500, and they are usually kind enough to let you know who has recently gotten one (or be getting one soon.)

I've been wanted to try Pliny the Elder for the longest time. I never was able to find it anywhere in West Michigan.

I just looked at some of the links people have posted, I cannot find it anywhere whatsoever, even in California. Every link I've found on this and other forums is either out of stock, pickup only, or will ship to California only due to popularity. The guy who said Pliny isn't rare in California, wow could have fooled me lol. :)

I don't have the time and energy to "trade," I'd rather just order from someone who can ship to Michigan and just pay the premium. But it appears that this is the rarest beer and the world at the moment. :cross:

Keep trying Blackwellswines.com. Every time I visit that site which is not often they have them in. They didnt have them in when I ordered and bought it but after a few days when they got a fresh shipment they sent it out that day. So I drank a < two week old bottled one(Took a week to ship).Some days it may be in, others not,if your consistant in checking you should be able to get it. You may want to shoot them an email also if your having trouble. I think they have a new rule now about by one of those you have to buy something else too for every one you buy.

I live near the brewery agree that although it's a good beer...I'd consider it average for many of the craft beers I have had. Ever try Ninkasi?

Back