Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guthrie

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Corny keg and was wondering If is necessary to take the whole thing apart for cleaning or could I just remove the lid and clean that way.

New, just sanitize and fill.

Used, completely disassemble, replace the o-rings, lube, sanitize, and fill.

In a used keg you never know what is lodged where and the o-rings will hold onto soda flavors almost indefinately, especially root beer.

If it's used, it's best to disassemble, clean, and sanitize everything as Greg said. It also lets you inspect all the o-rings and gaskets. It's usually a good bet to get a new gasket set whenever you get a used keg. Most of them saw soda beverage service at some point and the o-rings hold the flavor/aroma. It also gives you good practice of how to disassemble/ assemble your keg.

I don't want to but if it must be done then I suppose I'll have to get down to it. I just hope I don't forget how to put it all back together.

It's not as bad as you think. Also when re-tightening the posts you don't need brute force, just turn your wrench till it gives resistance, then just torgue a bit beyond that.

Here is a good link to how to disassemble and re-assemble kegs.

http://www.dresselbrew.com/Keg_Info.htm

Take it apart and replace gaskets. Soak everything in oxyclean, rinse, and sanitize.

Not worth potential to ruin a batch of beer over.

When i was a newbie. I only use pbw. No Sanitizer. Now i use starsan. Never had a bad batch of beer. We use cleaner and Sanitizer to reduce the chances

Back