$10 Three way MFL manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So I needed a manifold for my trashcan kegerator. I didn't want to take out the one in my "Carberator" since it's attached to a dual guage secondary regulator. But I did want to be able to use 3 of the gas disconnects which attach to the manifold and regulator with MFL fittings. I wanted to be able to take them off use them for the day in the trash can then put them back on fridge duty.

So I went to the local place that carries every nut/bolt/washer/fitting known to man.

For $10 and some teflon tape I assembled my manifold. Last picture shows a MFL connected to it.

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

At some point I would like to put a check valve on the line to the regulator but no one sells them around here for under $30 (some sort of welding thing) so sometime when I do an internet order I will grab one.

At some point I would like to put a check valve on the line to the regulator but no one sells them around here for under $30 (some sort of welding thing) so sometime when I do an internet order I will grab one.

If it were me, I'd put one on each output... otherwise when you pull liquid from one keg, gas will equalize from your tank AND the other kegs.

I'm confused I thought the check valve was to keep beer from flowing back up the line and into your regulator in the pressures in your kegs got higher than in your CO2 tank????

... otherwise when you pull liquid from one keg, gas will equalize from your tank AND the other kegs. Why would this be an issue?

It can be.

I've had liquid pull into a gas line when I had a keg really full. It can happen.

When you pull from a keg, the pressure will drop. Without check valves, it'll equalize from the other kegs and the CO2 tank.
Not that that's a huge issue, but it's there.

I think $10 worth of check valves are a small price to pay to protect a $100 regulator.

I'm confused I thought the check valve was to keep beer from flowing back up the line and into your regulator in the pressures in your kegs got higher than in your CO2 tank????

... otherwise when you pull liquid from one keg, gas will equalize from your tank AND the other kegs. Why would this be an issue?

It does. It also, can prevent gas, or beer (if you jostle a keg and end up with beer in the gas line) from moving from keg to keg.

Not a huge worry (I said a "minor upgrade"), but I like the idea of isolating the kegs from each other. For $2.50 each, the check valves are a pretty small investment.

Ed

It can be.

I've had liquid pull into a gas line when I had a keg really full. It can happen.

When you pull from a keg, the pressure will drop. Without check valves, it'll equalize from the other kegs and the CO2 tank.
Not that that's a huge issue, but it's there.

I think $10 worth of check valves are a small price to pay to protect a $100 regulator.

Sweet... you looking over my shoulder as I type??? :D

These kegs aren't too full and I will be using a brand new, newly filled 5lb co2 tank. Will I be ok to distribute beer out of my trash can kegerator for like 8 hours with no worries.

I will get the check valves when I can in the future.

These kegs aren't too full and I will be using a brand new, newly filled 5lb co2 tank. Will I be ok to distribute beer out of my trash can kegerator for like 8 hours with no worries.

I will get the check valves when I can in the future.

You will be fine.

My suggestion was really intended for the next person that wanted to follow your design (good design by the way).

I wouldn't worry about rushing to replace the fittings, but something you might consider in the future.

Ed

Back