Removing Red Stripe Labels without StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vorsicht709

Reaction score
I have been doing some searching, on how to remove painted on labels. However the most common anwser I have seen is to soak in starsan. However, living in Newfoundland, I cannot get any.

So far I have tried paint thinner, Poly Super Stripper (I was baffeled it didnt do anything), and Nail Polish Remover. I currently have it soaking in vinegar overnight.

Can anyone think of anything else I could try? (besides starsan)

I really want to get these labels off I am hoping to bottle all my beer in stubby bottles.

Thanks

why do you need redstripe bottles? That seems like way too much work. I would just stick to paper labels. Plus I wouldn't want to drink out of anything that has had paint thinner in it.

I really like the stubby bottles. I want to eventually bottle all my beer in stubbies, but i need a few more dozen. There used to be a local brewery that used them, but they have recently stopped. Im not putting any paint thinner in the bottles I have them capped, besides im going to rinse them very throughly.

i always live the painted labels such as red stripe on...I remove the paper ones so they don't break my dish washer...

Im suddenly getiting visions of broken glass being thrown alll over my basement.

I have to really laugh!

I use stubbies when I find them, because they are retro, my first ill gotten beer came in those. AHHHHH Genesee Cream Ale. I leave the paint on the Red Stripe. A bench grinder and glass slivers forced into my skin might not be the best way to remove the paint.

But if you must grind the paint off, wear safety glasses!

A regular wing capper will not cap Red Stripe bottles. I tried. A bench capper might.

I tried soaking the super stripper (half an hour like it says on the label), I tried rubbing the rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, and everything else. Im soaking in the vinegar currently.

My wing capper works fine on red stripe bottles, I have a few dozen other blank stubbies, and it works on them fine as well.

A Local craft brewer used to bottle their beer in stubby bottles, however they have recently stopped. I have a bunch already but I wanted to have enough for a full batch, if I can manage to find a way to remove the labels I will drink enough to get the bottles.

Try 1 part muriatic acid and 3 parts water soaking for 15 minutes. You can get the acid at Lowes 2 gallons for $9 bucks.

Muratic acid is pretty strong stuff so be careful (add acid to the water and don't inhale the fumes). The only screen printed bottle this hasn't worked on is a 7 year old Stone Brewing label. Everything else comes off easily.

I tried soaking the super stripper (half an hour like it says on the label), I tried rubbing the rubbing alcohol, paint thinner, and everything else. Im soaking in the vinegar currently.

My wing capper works fine on red stripe bottles, I have a few dozen other blank stubbies, and it works on them fine as well.

It sure as hell wouldn't work with mine. I tried maneuvering it ever which way. Felt like it would break the bottle if I tried any harder. I guess I retract my last post.

Try 1 part muriatic acid and 3 parts water soaking for 15 minutes. You can get the acid at Lowes 2 gallons for $9 bucks.

Muratic acid is pretty strong stuff so be careful (add acid to the water and don't inhale the fumes). The only screen printed bottle this hasn't worked on is a 7 year old Stone Brewing label. Everything else comes off easily.

Another vote for muriatic acid. Just don't splash or breathe this stuff. You'll find it in the swimming pool supply section.

I was reading from another post saying that red stripe makes their labels with dyed glass fired onto the bottles, and there is no way to remove them other than sanding. Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I also like the stubby bottles but all my Red Stripe bottles still say Red Stripe. They have been used for 8-10 batches and still look like I just bought them. Also another good stubby bottle is Modelo but those are paper labels so they come off easy.

...also Steam ales, North Coast, and St. Arnold.

I think he's more concerned with the formal qualities of the bottle, rather than it's foot print.

...also Steam ales, North Coast, and St. Arnold.

Yeah, if the Red Stripe paint doesn't come off, I'd suggest grabbing some Anchor Steam or any other Anchor beer and soaking them. They are very unique and the labels are relatively easy to remove. Love the profile of those bottles.

I have been doing some searching, on how to remove painted on labels. However the most common anwser I have seen is to soak in starsan. However, living in Newfoundland, I cannot get any.

Original post.

I have yet to read of someone who has actually remmove a red stripe lable. Does starsan work for certain? Anyone actually done this with a newer redstripe bottle?

I have had 50/50 success with removing red stripe labels with star san. First, you need to make the concentration up to 4Xs the recommended strength and let it sit for at least 4 days or so. When it was done, only 24 of my 48 bottles came off. The ones that did, came off easily. The ones that didn't, barely even changed the color of the rage I used for wiping. I am still holding onto the other 24 bottles, hoping there is a wat to clean them off too...

I used CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) cleaner and the label comes off. I just filled the bottles with water and set them in a glass with about 1.5 inches of CLR in the bottom. Badda bing badda boom, label is gone in about 15 minutes. I tried this for the first time today with red stripe bottles I bought yesterday. I couldn't find any definitive way to do it but this works like a charm. No scrubbing either, I just wiped it off with my finger.

redstripe.jpg

I used CLR (Calcium Lime Rust) cleaner and the label comes off. I just filled the bottles with water and set them in a glass with about 1.5 inches of CLR in the bottom. Badda bing badda boom, label is gone in about 15 minutes. I tried this for the first time today with red stripe bottles I bought yesterday. I couldn't find any definitive way to do it but this works like a charm. No scrubbing either, I just wiped it off with my finger.

redstripe.jpg

glad somebody finally got success with this thread; I'm going to start drinking a **** ton more of red stripe now.

after nearly an hour of soaking in CLR (not diluted), the label shows no signs of coming off. i'll let it go for the rest of the day and see what happens. i know funk said 15 min, so i'm confused about the lack of results over 50 minutes...

I bottle mostly in Rogue bottles which also have painted on labels. I cover the top of the bottle with a little plastic wrap and remove the label with my bench grinder and wire wheel attachment. Takes about 45 seconds/bottle. Doesn't scratch the bottle nor have I ever broken one doing it this way and I have done it this way for over 100 bottles.

yes i'm a new member so i'm sorry to do this to those that like red stripe.... but i think that beer tastes like drinking water soaked straw.... not appealing to me... the bottles on the other hand are very cool... my impression of the mixed results for chemicals is that some of the bottles must be painted differently (or some small variance in manufacturing process that they don't care about) than others... for example i was able to use a razorblade to effectively remove the paint of a whole bottle... no problem; then all the others i tried (even after a day of soaking in star san) didn't budge... furthermore all the paint on the corona light bottles i put in with them came off easily... i'm thinking skip the chemical approach and simply go mechanical here.... i am about to experiment with a wire wheel on a dremel tool....

addendum: it appears that someone at the bar next door enjoys red stripe so these have been the only bottles scavengable lately.

it can be teadious but if you're dead set on having these awesome stubbies it can take up to 48 hours, a copper scrub, baking soda, and maybe some elbow grease. Boil bottles in water w baking soda for 30 min and then leave overnight - the following night. Some I find peel with ease and others I have to use the copper scrub and elbow grease, but I'm excited to say that it's possible!

Not sure about others' lack of success with CLR. I have done it to over 100 bottles bought all over the southeast with the same results. Soak for 15 minutes in undiluted CLR and the label wipes off with your finger. This works on Corona, Rogue, etc.

As far as contaminating your bottles, make sure the cup you put them in is shorter than the bottle, just enough to cover the label. Once you are done, rinse in hot water and StarSan for sterilization.

Back