Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
took my first taste after a week of VERY active fermenting and I cant believe how good this stuff tatstes. I know its going to change quite a bit, but man it is amazing right now. OG was 1.090 and today 1 week later its 1.016 so we are already talking a pretty nice ABV for such a tasty drink. I would love it just like it is, cleared and bottle carbed!

Im going to go ahead and say this stuff is dangerous. I had 3 pints last night, and they seemed to get better after each one. And with the high alcohol content, it might catch up to you quick like.

The only bad part is that it looks dead on Miller Lite. Even the head looks like it.

How noticable is the alcohol?

I made a cider that was about 5.3% and people thought it was apple soda!!

They asked me, "Are you certain there was alcohol in this stuff?" :drunk:

Just curious, I've got wait 3 more weeks before the ferment is done.

OK,

I just spent 30 minutes scrolling through all 61 pages of posts for the answer to this question with no success:

I picked up 6 gallons of the White House apple juice at Sam's Club. The ingredients are water and concentrated apple juice. Has anyone used this juice and/or has anyone experimented with using different brands of juice with different tastes/results?

Orpheus said:
Has anyone used this juice and/or has anyone experimented with using different brands of juice with different tastes/results?
I'm guessing each brand will have a slightly different taste, probably not enough to go out and search for that special brand. I used Stop & Shop brand, and although I haven't even bottled it, it tastes great. I'm guessing you're good as long as it's 100% juice.

Schlenkerla said:
How noticable is the alcohol?
They asked me, "Are you certain there was alcohol in this stuff?" :drunk: .

I've had folks ask me that too, then after the 3rd pint they ask" You shhlurr theers alkiohoool in this stttufff?":D

It's a slow weekend here in Austin as we are iced in. I've got my apfelwein stock backup.

15GallonsApfelwein.jpg

I'm able to squeeze all but 3 ounces of 5 gallons into the bottle before the foam hits the neck.

EdWort said:
I bottle without priming. If I wanted to prime, I'd just add some more juice, but at 8.5% it's still tasty uncarbonated as it is in Europe.

If you want it sweet, add a little 7-UP or Club Soda if not, you get bubbles, plus you cut the alcohol a bit which makes it stretch on a hot day. Germans do this all the time, especially if they have to drive later.

This was the answer I have been looking for. I'd love to have it carbed, but it'll be summer before I'm kegging. Thanks Ed! I can't wait to try this!!

Ize

Orpheus said:
OK,

I just spent 30 minutes scrolling through all 61 pages of posts for the answer to this question with no success:

I picked up 6 gallons of the White House apple juice at Sam's Club. The ingredients are water and concentrated apple juice. Has anyone used this juice and/or has anyone experimented with using different brands of juice with different tastes/results?

I've used from concentrate juice and it was fine.

I use Tree Top which is water and concentrated apple juice, so you should be fine as long as there are no funky chemical additives.

Ize said:
This was the answer I have been looking for. I'd love to have it carbed, but it'll be summer before I'm kegging. Thanks Ed! I can't wait to try this!!

Ize

Ize - According to the yeast maker they suggest 3/4 cup of corn sugar for 5 gallons of cider for carbonating. Same as beer!!

Goto post 572

Ed,

Is the alcohol pretty much un-noticable? I know with higher gravity brews the alcohol is noticable especially after a good pressure relieving belch. :cross:

I couldn't believe how hidden the alcohol was on my first cider.

made a batch of this stuff with cotes des blancs yeast and after I made it was doing some reading about it apparently it is highly recommended for non grape fruit wines especially apple wines, it produces fruity finished products with some residual sugar due to lower alc tolerance. I am looking forward to seeing how this one turns out I made the batches on 1/4/07 so it will be two weeks this Thursday they were bubbling away last I checked them the temp was at 67 but it got cold here so now they are at 61 so we shall see.

My batch is on day 9. Its still chucking away at full steam and its at a very low 55'F!!! It's really frickin' cold here in Iowa. Its sitting in the basement.

I'll have some good input how this fairs at low temp.

I know what you are saying about the yeast your using.

http://www.cfhb.org/mead/yeast_strains.htm#mont

This web site had high marks for the cotes des blancs.

The Lesaffery website had the same to say.

http://www.lesaffreyeastcorp.com/wineyeast/cote.html

Let us know how yours turns out. :mug:

Schlenkerla said:
Is the alcohol pretty much un-noticable?

Oh yeah. That's why I tell new folks to reserve judgment till after the 3rd glass. :D

I drink mine in old German Pfungsteadter bier glasses, but they are 8 oz., so it's slow going.

Ok, SWMBO had a party tonight. . . and there was a big demand for my apfelwein.. .. I have yet to even rack it out of the fermenter. . . .I ended up draining a gallon into a growler and giving it to them. . . which they promptly sucked down. . .

I could see this being the next "liquid panty remover."

SWMBO can't get enough. .. her guests couldn't either.

Thanks Ed!!!

:mug: :drunk:

I'm enjoying a 22oz bottle currently. Stuff really smoothed out after 2 months in the bottle.

Love it now :drunk:

desertBrew said:
I'm enjoying a 22oz bottle currently. Stuff really smoothed out after 2 months in the bottle.

Love it now :drunk:

what sugar to brew ratio did you use? 5 gallons? because I will be carbing my stuff in about 2 weeks or so, and wondering what kind of sugar you used/portion! cheers! (I used a champagne yeast) :mug:

Biermann said:
Ok, SWMBO had a party tonight. . . and there was a big demand for my apfelwein.. .. I have yet to even rack it out of the fermenter. . . .I ended up draining a gallon into a growler and giving it to them. . . which they promptly sucked down. . .

I could see this being the next "liquid panty remover."

SWMBO can't get enough. .. her guests couldn't either.

Thanks Ed!!!

:mug: :drunk:

It sounds like you'll never get it kegged. :D

Keep track of how many panties it removes will ya.:ban:

Kadmium said:
what sugar to brew ratio did you use? 5 gallons? because I will be carbing my stuff in about 2 weeks or so, and wondering what kind of sugar you used/portion! cheers! (I used a champagne yeast) :mug:

5 oz corn sugar and I used the Montrachet. I can no longer keep up with this thread but that's a little light IMO. It's just slightly carbed.

desertBrew said:
5 oz corn sugar and I used the Montrachet. I can no longer keep up with this thread but that's a little light IMO. It's just slightly carbed.

The yeast folks recommended 3/4 cup of corn sugar just like carbing beer.

I thought I'd post a pic of Apfelwein at different stages.

This pic was taken this morning, January 17th. The bottle of the left is 2 days old, the middle one is 1 day, and the right one is just over 3 weeks at 22 days old.

I'll post another pic as the one on the right begins to clear.

15GallonsApfelwein2days.jpg

I've had a batch in my carboy since 12/5/06 and it still hasn't perfectly cleared yet. The only difference is that I used Lalvin K1-V1116. Could this by why?

It looks like your bottle that is on the right....

Here's a pic of 3 previous batches. It was taken on 11/18/06 so you can see the youngest on the right is just over 5 weeks old and the one on the left is 2 months old.

16GallonsApfelwein.jpg

desertBrew said:

How long and at what temp did you carb? I wonder how risky it is carbing with 1 full cup?

Thanks!

Orpheus said:
I'll be following Ed's recipe to the letter. I've never used wine yeast or made wine before. Any worries about blow off or vigorous fermentation with the Montrachet?

Nope on the vigorous ferment with that yeast. Lucky if you get any krausen (or whatever they call it with cider).

Schlenkerla said:
How long and at what temp did you carb? I wonder how risky it is carbing with 1 full cup?

Thanks!

About 65-68 I think on average. It's still theoretically carbonating at 2 months as I did it all in 22's and only put 1 in the fridge and replace as I drink one. It's an occasional treat for me.

I dunno on the 1 cup; you'd not like to have bombs but mine is very light in the "sparkling" category. I barely get a pfffffzzz when I open a bottle with the 5oz. Some a little more than others. Up to you I guess..

I've seen Apfelwein in lots of sigs, but I just saw this thread today. I'd thought making it would be a lot more complicated that it actually is. I think I'll throw a recipe of it together soon. It sounds delicious!

i think i might carb my batch i made with montrachet yeast like champagne, i have a bunch of champagne bottles to use for it so i think i am going to prime it with 10 oz of corn sugar should bring to to around 4 vol and should be nice i know the bottles will not burst as i have done a bire brut in champagne bottles bottled to nearly 5 vols and had no probs with it.

Orpheus said:
I'll be following Ed's recipe to the letter. I've never used wine yeast or made wine before. Any worries about blow off or vigorous fermentation with the Montrachet?

Look at the pic in post #624 and there's the amount of foam generated. I can fit all but 3 ounces in a carboy and not worry about foaming out.

So far this is what I have seen in response to carbing naturally.

JimiGibbs

Montrachet
1/2 Cup - Corn Sugar
5 Gallon Batch
Bottled @ 5 weeks
Carbed for 3 weeks

Opinion: Good Sparkling Carb​

Desert Brew

Montrachet
5 oz - Corn Sugar ~ 3/4 of a cup
5 Gallon Batch

Opinion: Poor Carb or light.​

the Bird

Nottingham
1/2 cup
2.5 gallon

If 5gals then 1 cup

Opinion: Good Carb​

There seems to be a disconnect on Jimi's & Deserts results. I wonder if time is temp is the difference.

Desert have you tried removing yours from refrigeration or putting them in a warm place?

There all at 66-68 since I bottled them on 11/15/06. None are in the fridge 'cept the one I toss in there in the Apfelwein spot allocated. My fridge is packed with other goodies (kegs & other bottled brew). Oh, my ferment was exactly 30 days if that helps...

Sorry, I don't have time to look through 64 pages. I just wanted to know which is the preferred yeast to use, Montrachet or Nottingham. Has anyone used both of them so that there is a side by side comparison?

Drunk Monkey,
For most part two yeasts were used. Montrachet & Nottingham. I believe the overwhelming majority was using Montrachet with very favorable results.

I think others, for the sake of being different, have used Cotes De Blanc, Lavlin 1118, Cuvee Premier, and maybe a Pasteur.

Desert Brew,
I'm puzzled, thinking that results or opnions should be the complete opposite.
It makes me think I should use 1 full cup.

I hope to hear more opinions prior to my bottling deadline!!

Schlenkerla said:
Desert Brew,
I'm puzzled, thinking that results or opnions should be the complete opposite.
It makes me think I should use 1 full cup.

I say go for it personally. Didn't someone here mention going for 10oz because of champagne whatever? Crack one open at 1 week, 2 weeks etc. while in the 60's range of carbonation. If all of a sudden you get your hair blown back; get em all in the fridge quickly! ;)

Apfelwein

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice (No preservatives or additives) I use Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of dextrose (corn sugar) in one pound bags (it dissolves the easiest)
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Equipment

5 Gallon Carboy (I use a Better Bottle)
Carboy Cap or Stopper with Airlock
Funnel

1. First sanitize the carboy, airlock, funnel, stopper or carboy cap.
2. Open one gallon bottle of apple juice and pour half of it into the carboy using the funnel.
3. Open one bag of Dextrose and carefully add it to the now half full bottle of apple juice. Shake well.
4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3, then go to step 5.
5. Pour in the mixture of Apple Juice and Dextrose from both bottles into the carboy.
6. Add all but 1 quart of remaining 3 gallons of apple juice to the carboy.
7. Open the packet of Montrachet Yeast and pour it into the neck of the funnel.
8. Use the remaining quart of juice to wash down any yeast that sticks. I am able to fit all but 3 ounces of apple juice into a 5 gallon Better Bottle. You may need to be patient to let the foam die down from all shaking and pouring.
9. Put your stopper or carboy cap on with an airlock and fill the airlock with cheap vodka.

There’s no need to worry about filling up a carboy so full when you use Montrachet wine yeast. There is no Kreuzen, just a thin layer of bubbles. Ferment at room temperature.

It will become cloudy in a couple of days and remain so for a few weeks. In the 4th week, the yeast will begin to drop out and it will become clear. After at least 4 weeks, you can keg or bottle, but it is ok to leave it in the carboy for another month or so. Racking to a secondary is not necessary.

Remember to reserve judgment till after 3 glasses. It grows on you.

Latest posts

Back