A little too slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
I started a strawberry wine on 12/6. 3 lbs strawberries, 4 cups sugar, one gallon water, 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient, 1.5 tsp acid blend (3.6 pH), 1/2 tsp tannin, and some pectic enzyme. SG: 1.080. I pitched in some Montrachet yeast, and racked it to the secondary on 12/14.

Last weekend I took a reading of 1.042. This week, it is 1.040. Funny thing is, with the dark red liquid, I can see the little CO2 bubbles coming to the top, and the airlock is having some activity - maybe one glup per minute.

Its not stuck, but I would think it should be at least 1.030 by now. Thoughts?

Well, the silver lining to this is that I got a nice slow ferment, which is good for both wine and cider.

It is at 64 degrees, mostly because we don't really heat the house to save money. I know it's not stuck, and time is good, but it makes me a tad worried that it could become stuck. Well, at least i can see the CO2 rising, so I guess if that stops, I should take a reading and then worry if it calls for it.

Making wine is all about patience, my friend! just dont worry so much and let the yeast do its thing!

edit: I've learned from experience that fussing with it too much and taking too many readings and disturbing the wine can be detrimental to your fermentation. As long as you see CO2 bubbles everything is going well. Just be patient! Enjoy the hobby, dont rush it :)

*sigh* I know... I argue with the beer makers in the cider forum that they are rushing way too much. So I know I should listen to myself, but at the same time, i can't help but worry.

Back