Big @ss blow off tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hey,

I've seen some guys with giant blow off tubes. Penis envy comments aside, I am wondering where to get these? What diameter is it?

They are the ones that seem to be about the diameter of a carboy opening. They seem to fit right in snuggly.

Further - does anybody have luck using the orange caps with the 1/4 inch tubes for REALLY violent fermentations like barley wines? I'm scared to try, hence why I'm seeking to increase the size of my hose.

;)

Any home improvement store should have that diameter tubing (Home Depot, Lowes, etc...)

I"m not sure of the diameter, i'm sure someone else will chime in.

Any decent homebrew shop will carry that size tubing. I believe it's 1" ID. Northern Homebrew carries it in precut 3.5' lengths (Search Results). Fits snugly in all my glass carboys (3, 5, and 6.5 gallon). It is all I use for primary fermentation now after I had one eruput through the airlock.

Yeah, its probably 1 inch.. the home brew shops carry it, and so does home depot/lowes (tell them you want to make a beer bong, or they may not know what you need... which is, by the one, the quickest way to get them to find you a funnel).

They fit snug in glass carboys, but not better bottles. I grabbed a bung and cut it to keep the 1 inch hose tight in my better bottle. I will post a picture later if I can find the camera =/

I use the orange carboy caps with 1/2" ID tubing over it.

Yeh Bobby I just checked mine, it's 7/16" ID.

You don't have any issues with that for huge beers? I was just nervous about it because it seems to get bunged up good at 1.065 or so. I just don't want my blow off blowing-off!

My biggest gripe with the huge blow off tube is that it's unwieldy. It's very stiff, and hard to find a place to put a blowoff bucket where the tube will a) stay in and b) not knock over the blowoff bucket. Since moving to a 6 gallon carboy, I've been able to just use the smaller blowoff tube as needed, no problems.

Back