SMaSH extract recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ooompa Loompa

Reaction score
My last order from Morebeer was about $5 short of being at the free shipping level, so I added 5 lbs of German Pilsner extract to throw it over the top. Now I'm trying to come up with a recipe for it, and I thought it might be fun to try an extract version of a SMaSH recipe. I realize I don't know for sure if the extract is made with 100% pilsner malt, so it may or may not be a true single malt recipe, but I like to look at the glass as half full, so I'll just assume that it is 100% pilsner malt. I'm also tyring to do it with the hops I have on hand, and Crystal seemed the most appropriate to the style. That being said, what say you to this recipe?

5 lbs German Pilsner extract
1.5 oz Crystal (4.4 AA) 60 min
1 oz Crystal (4.4 AA) 5 min

Assuming a 2 gallon boil Pro Mash puts me at 5.4 SRM and 27.6 IBUs

I don't have the ability to lager and I have US-05, Nottingham, and Wyeast 1028 on hand. I was thinking I'd do the US-05 and ferment on the cooler side (I have a closet that stays pretty cool, so I can probably keept it around 60).

Thoughts?

Technically I think the whole SMaSH idea is to litterally use only one malt, i.e. the pilsner malt, without any crystal. Otherwise sounds good, I like the safale (cleaner taste) and at 60 it should do just fine. Let us know how it turns out! I've had my Maris Otter/Fuggles in the jug for a week now, very curious to see how it is :)

mike

I am Currently boiling 3 Pounds of German Pilsner extract, 1 oz Crystal Hops and 3 gallons of water...I'm going for about a 35 minute boil and late addition of 1/2 the extract and 1 oz of hops for the last 5 minutes.
I will be using some washed US-05 Ale Yeast.

The smell is KILLER!
I need to go add Hops, But I'll post back if you will.

:mug:

Awesome, sounds like we are brewing up almost the exact same recipe. I'm bringing my water to a boil right now (I'll be doing late addition on about half of my malt as well). Since we are relatively close perhaps we should exchange a couple of bottles once our brews are complete and see how they compare.

Moved to secondary today. Even though I tried to keep the temps on the low side I am still getting a lot of the fruity ale scents. But even so it smells and tastes really good.

Bottled this on Monday. This cleared up better then any beer I have brewed so far. It is a beautiful light color, and it tastes great. This will be an awesome beer to drink on a hot summer day. Can't wait to see how it tastes after 3 weeks in the bottle and a nice chill in the fridge.

This really did turn out wonderfully. An awesome, highly quaffable session beer. A beautiful straw color, smells sweet and citrusy. Tastes sweet very slightly malty with strong hints of grapefruit. I wouldn't change a thing if I were to brew this again (and I most likely will!!).

FWIW, I'm almost certain that a Pilsner extract is 100%-pils (at least a good one will be). I mean, the idea is that you can use it to MAKE a pils, and most Pils recipes have very simple grain bills.

Latest posts

Back