Discoloration & small plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApothecaryBrewing

Reaction score
Hey All,

My Zeus appear to have ceased growing, or at least slowed extremely. I also noticed some yellow or browning of the leaves. From other images I have seen my thought is mites but I am unsure.

I started with about 2 Tbsp. Of all purpose Miracle-Gro this week spread out over 3 days watering. I previously hadn't given it anything but organic potting soil and water.

Please help diagnose my hop problems.

ForumRunner_20130706_140517.jpg

ForumRunner_20130706_140529.jpg

I would say that is probably spider mites. Check the underside of your leaves. If there are little webs that is it. Spray it with some neem oil on the underside of the leaves.

I had the same thing happen to two of my first year plants, Miracle Grow (24-8-16) fixed it within a week or two. Both were stuck for probably 3-4 weeks and maybe grew 6 inches if that.

I just did half a Tbsp in a gallon of water once a week for both plants after talking to Duboman on here, and it worked a charm.

UPDATE: Started giving the plant about 1 Tbsp of 24-8-16 Miracle Gro per week along with increasing the drainage and I water it about a gallon every few days, maybe a little less. I also have been spraying it with Neem Oil every so often to ward off mites.

The deep green is beginning to return to the leaves, the discoloration isn't spreading and is possibly fading. Here is the good part... The plant has easily grown over 20" since I started feeding it fertilizer, roughly 3 weeks or so!!

Hi guys, ive been having a similar problem as well but maybe a bit more severe. Ive been adding fish emulsin once a week or so in low doses. Thoughts if i might need to add in some manure/new top soil or am i experiencing some other problems?
Appreciate your help!

image-3602082500.jpg

image-3433986052.jpg

image-1538699235.jpg

Your leaves look a little light. Could be a nitrogen deficiency but I don't know enough to really diagnose it.

What is the fish emulsion mix? 5-2-2? If so, and your plant is in the growing stage not the budding stage, it may be short on potassium. I know they dont need much phosphorous until it begins flowering or budding but if i have read other posts correctly, it may need a bit higher concentration of potassium.

I take it you are going the organic route, which is commendable and i wish i had, but I don't know what fertilizers are out there that may give you a more optimal balance of nutrients.

Something like THIS may help as I have heard fertilizers for tomatos seem to work well with hops.

Thanks for your reply. I ve been using one thats 5-1-1. I recently stopped for a bit. And added a mixture of manure and topsoil (few mixed hand fulls) about 2 weeks ago now. I was seeing positive results but the last few days more yellowing on my cascade. Not sure if it was due to the coolee temps the last few days/nights but hopefully it will improve.
How many timea do you add product you referenced? Just folloq the recommeded dosage? Thanks again!

I give my hops about 1 Tbsp of Miracle-Gro diluted in a gallon of water 1 time per week. Then I water it about 0.5 gallons every other day. Really I just soak the soil when i see it has dried. Some days I water it 2x a day if it is super hot and sunny, most others I will water it once.

I would also check the under side of the leaves for mites. Getting some neem oil on that takes care of it. Also if you are spraying your leaves in full sun the water will lead to brown spots and yellowing due to magnifying the sun.

Good luck, happy growing.

I give my hops about 1 Tbsp of Miracle-Gro diluted in a gallon of water 1 time per week. Then I water it about 0.5 gallons every other day. Really I just soak the soil when i see it has dried. Some days I water it 2x a day if it is super hot and sunny, most others I will water it once.

I would also check the under side of the leaves for mites. Getting some neem oil on that takes care of it. Also if you are spraying your leaves in full sun the water will lead to brown spots and yellowing due to magnifying the sun.

Good luck, happy growing.

This, the problem with just adding compost on top is that its not an immediate take up. The compost takes time to break down further and supply the nutrients to the plant since your just applying it to the top. Doing so at the beginning and end of the season would be where you'd see the most benefits doing that as it would have time to do its thing. If your plants already distressed like yours it might not be enough...there are other organic solutions im sure you can find. I just decided to go with MG as i told Apoth, it works.
Im not spraying it on my hops or flowers, just root feeding. So in the end it shouldnt affect the hop flowers themselves i think?

Miracle-Gro is used in vegetable gardening so I don't really have any worries about using it. If you are worried though, there are other organic fertilizers with higher concentrations of potassium and phosphorous that will do more than almost a strictly nitrogen fertilizer will do.

I was just trying to keep it cheap as I got the rhizome for free.

Hi guys. Apologies ive been out of the area lately and ive been waiting to see my cascade has developed. Its still yellowing and now it seems might have some mildew in it? Let me know if this is an accurate statement as i am attaching photos. Also im not sure how cascade produce hops/what the look like but doesnt look like my goldings. Seems to be shooting out little clusters of little hops. From what ive read this might be a male?

image-3118229353.jpg

image-4237023708.jpg

Ill add pictures of those later. Hope someone can shed some light. Thanks for your time.

Back