Fast Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brausawyer

Reaction score
G'Day all,

So I brewed a Belgian IPA using two packets of Safe Ale 33. I pitched two packets because my expected gravity was set at 1.057 but came out at 1.052. I still pitched at a rate slightly better than 0.75 per plato. I have an ambient room temperature of 19 degrees Celsius and that's where it has been stored. I pitched at 5 Monday and within an hour it was bubbling. After 18 hours of pitching, it reached peak krausen. After 24 hours the krausen dropped and now at 28 hours in, there is no krausen and no airlock activity. I plan on keeping it in primary for a couple weeks for clean up before dry hopping, so the question is, do I have any worries here?

Thanks for any tips

G'Day all,

So I brewed a Belgian IPA using two packets of Safe Ale 33. I pitched two packets because my expected gravity was set at 1.057 but came out at 1.052. I still pitched at a rate slightly better than 0.75 per plato. I have an ambient room temperature of 19 degrees Celsius and that's where it has been stored. I pitched at 5 Monday and within an hour it was bubbling. After 18 hours of pitching, it reached peak krausen. After 24 hours the krausen dropped and now at 28 hours in, there is no krausen and no airlock activity. I plan on keeping it in primary for a couple weeks for clean up before dry hopping, so the question is, do I have any worries here?

Thanks for any tips

I wouldn't worry much at all - I've seen vigorous ferments quickly go quiet after 24 hours. To be sure take a gravity reading. You did pitch 2 sachets which was more than enough (I do it all the time with my bulging starters). Just cuz the airlock activity has diminished doesn't mean the yeast is done doing it's thing. If your gravity is up, give it a gentle swirl. You did aerate the wort, right?

I aerated the same as my other batches before, siphon from boil kettle into carboy, pitch yeast then shake carboy with rubber stopper. Always seemed to work.

I'm thinking the over pitching just finished this off very quick but I will leave it for two weeks then sample it

Back