Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a blueberry mead.
In the bottles it doesn't look as clear as in the glass. It came out at 12.3% abv

image-2665930573.jpg

image-679339873.jpg

image-2517238594.jpg

Bluespark said:
Do you have a recipe for that?

Yeah, I mean I kind of made it up, but it's in correction to a previous batch I made, trying to improve, I'll post when I get a chance, not at home

luda007 said:
It's a blueberry mead.
In the bottles it doesn't look as clear as in the glass. It came out at 12.3% abv

Looks beautiful! I love blueberry, I've been wanting to try out a blueberry anise mead but havnt tried it out yet, I do have a pine blueberry mead but the blueberry is very subtle... How did you get it so dark?

Honestly, I don't have a clue.

It my 3rd attempt at mead making. My 1st was just terrible, had a nasty band-aid taste.

I kind of followed a recipe I found. They had me get water boiling and steep 5lbs of frozen blueberries for 30 minutes. I didn't use frozen.
Once I got all the ingredients into the fermenter I added the berries I had just steeped and let it sit for a month.
When I racked it off I did add 5lbs of frozen blueberries. I let that sit for a month or so and then racked again.

I started it on 7/13.

Here is a link to the recipe.
http://craftychickscuppacoffee.blogspot.com/2010/06/cooking-for-sabbats-blueberry-mead.html?m=1

I used D-47

Here are a couple of meads I started around Halloween (although not Halloween inspired). Nuted them today and I decided to take a picture for you guys. Descriptions for the more interested below.

Happy Holidays!

76149_4575445075797_834238889_n.jpg

Starting from the left (percentages are current, not target):

Blueberry Pancake. 14.7% and still going. EC-1118. 12 lbs. Snowberry Honey. 3 lbs. Clover. I'm intending this to be a sack mead, adding a second addition of 2 lbs of blueberries once the yeast reach their peak (so they peter out with the sugars from the berries, while the alcohol essentially extracts the remaining blueberry essence from the blueberry puree) then backsweetening with Grade B maple syrup to 1.03. There is already 20 oz. of Anderson's Grade B maple syrup fermenting away inside. Delicious.

Raspberry Melomade. EC-1118. 13.3%. 8 lbs. Clover Honey. 3 cans Minute Maid lemonade concentrate, 16 oz. of raspberries in secondary. Fermentation has been slow due to the acidity of the lemonade, but she's still going. I will add 16 more oz of raspberries at the end of fermentation in the same fashion as the blueberry above, getting more of an extract than any further fermentation.

Mapfelwien. 71B-1122. 10.7%. 64 oz. Simply Apple Juice. 1.8 lbs. Snowberry Honey. 12 oz. Anderson's Grade B Maple Syrup. Experimental batch. For me, the jury is still out on my care for cysers, although I really would like to enjoy them. I'll probably bottle 2 bottles from the batch, then use the rest to top off the blueberry pancake before it's bottling to bring a hint of apple to the party.

Here are a couple of meads I started around Halloween (although not Halloween inspired). Nuted them today and I decided to take a picture for you guys. Descriptions for the more interested below.

Happy Holidays!

76149_4575445075797_834238889_n.jpg

Starting from the left (percentages are current, not target):

Blueberry Pancake. 14.7% and still going. EC-1118. 12 lbs. Snowberry Honey. 3 lbs. Clover. I'm intending this to be a sack mead, adding a second addition of 2 lbs of blueberries once the yeast reach their peak (so they peter out with the sugars from the berries, while the alcohol essentially extracts the remaining blueberry essence from the blueberry puree) then backsweetening with Grade B maple syrup to 1.03. There is already 20 oz. of Anderson's Grade B maple syrup fermenting away inside. Delicious.

Raspberry Melomade. EC-1118. 13.3%. 8 lbs. Clover Honey. 3 cans Minute Maid lemonade concentrate, 16 oz. of raspberries in secondary. Fermentation has been slow due to the acidity of the lemonade, but she's still going. I will add 16 more oz of raspberries at the end of fermentation in the same fashion as the blueberry above, getting more of an extract than any further fermentation.

Mapfelwien. 71B-1122. 10.7%. 64 oz. Simply Apple Juice. 1.8 lbs. Snowberry Honey. 12 oz. Anderson's Grade B Maple Syrup. Experimental batch. For me, the jury is still out on my care for cysers, although I really would like to enjoy them. I'll probably bottle 2 bottles from the batch, then use the rest to top off the blueberry pancake before it's bottling to bring a hint of apple to the party.

Holy crap you buy the same honey as me lol. How do you like their snowberry? I have had their wildflower and clover and both are pretty good.

Holy crap you buy the same honey as me lol. How do you like their snowberry? I have had their wildflower and clover and both are pretty good.

I absolutely adore their snowberry. In tasting it all throughout ferment, it tends to keep it's buttery flavor, even as it gets drier. I think it would be absolutely stunning in a honey soda, but that's another project for another forum. :tank:

Where do you find 5 gallon honey. The only semi affordable honey I seem to be able to find around here is the Costco 6# jugs of Sonora desert honey

Current bucket was bought at the LHBS I used to visit (in Marlboro, MA). Broke down to $2.75/#. :D That was from a more local apiary, and it's a bucket of wildflower honey. Damned fine tasting too.

I might be able to score some honey from a guy with bees (in MA) for my next purchase.

Personally, I won't use cheap honey in my traditional meads. I want great honey as the base, and have it come through in the glass. If I'm making something that will have a lot of flavor additions, that's different. But, where the honey will come through, quality is important (for me at least).

I've just finished my first 'rack' of my first mead and I know I have to put it away so it can be as undisturbed as possible, but currently it is glowing a rich gold on the window sill. I keep admiring it, much to my husbands amusement!

posted in "what are you drinking". but... my metheglin. coriander, sweet orange peel, vanilla bean, and seeds of paradise. OG 1.108 FG 1.012

1201122047.jpg

My first Batch of Mead

Orange Craisin Mead

Jan 14, 2012
3lbs Wildflower honey
EC1118 - 6 Mandarin oranges
20 craisins
Racked 24th Feb w/ 1/2 teaspoon Nutrient
Bottled August 5th 2012

Simply Delicious

image-1968188218.jpg

Sample of Thor-Mjød. Made with Hawthorn, enebær, birch bark, and a toasted slice of white oak. Still a bit hot, but not as hot as six months ago, still a strong, strangely tropical fruit aroma.

8257075535_d780ce0cd8_z.jpg

Some spiced-orange mead (I won't call it a JAOM as I complicated the process quite a bit from the original recipe :eek:). Back-sweetened to an SG of 1.021

The taste isn't quite perfect yet, and I think maybe it's the cloves I'm not liking (they are indeed "potent critters"). But it's still early days :)

8257075535_d780ce0cd8_z.jpg

Some spiced-orange mead (I won't call it a JAOM as I complicated the process quite a bit from the original recipe :eek:). Back-sweetened to an SG of 1.021

The taste isn't quite perfect yet, and I think maybe it's the cloves I'm not liking (they are indeed "potent critters"). But it's still early days :)

Really like those bottles!

-Kingboomer

DisturbdChemist said:
I got a lemon/basil mead, cinnamon/ginger mead, lime/cilantro mead, blackberry/peach mead (just bottled) and in the middle a cider with brown sugar/honey/agave. Can't wait till these are ready

wow!! busy, I like it!! I need to get a few more batches going myself.

DisturbdChemist said:
I got a lemon/basil mead, cinnamon/ginger mead, lime/cilantro mead, blackberry/peach mead (just bottled) and in the middle a cider with brown sugar/honey/agave. Can't wait till these are ready

I hope that Agave isn't the kind that doesn't seem to fernent.

So when are you bringing over the b/p mead? I think my JAOM is almost done.

The maple I put together in 2011, bottled up the other day... I'll take a picture when I pour some into a glass and post that too. Smell was unreal when bottling it. :D

2011_14_ABV_Maple.jpg

I hope that Agave isn't the kind that doesn't seem to fernent.

So when are you bringing over the b/p mead? I think my JAOM is almost done.

Its the failed agave mead left overs from earlier. I am hoping that the extra sugar in there will super charge the yeast and eat the agave. It not much honey in there. I might add more too it. :ban:

Plan a day and i can bring over some different stuff including the mead.:rockin:

Frosted bottle? If so then nice!

Yup... All I've been using for my meads so far. Thinking about getting some clear bottles for the next batches to be done. I have a batch of traditional that I might use the rest of my synthetic corks on. Probably give them a hot wax dip too. :eek: That would be funny with Brazilian honey. :D

I know I should not lust after another meadmakers mead, but you kinda want to stroke it like it is a nylon on a great leg.

Reminds me of the Leg Lamp from the Christmas Story flick. That should be starting up soon.

Aye, it'd DEAD SEXY!!!

I decided to use the flat black shrink covers on the maple batch. Needed something to help keep them separate from my other batches. :D Need to pick up a small (cheap) pot to melt more wax in. Planning on using some gooooold wax on a batch (or two) when they're ready... :D

Haha that's all that is left of each. I wanted it rounded nice. The leftovers I gave to people to try and everyone seemed to like them. Also they were only gallon batches and the bottles are 750ml.

Back