Holy Obsession Batman!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkeller12

Reaction score
So I just want to find out if I am normal or not by asking this question: "why am I so addicted to brewing my own beer"?

I just recently started home brewing, so new that I haven't even enjoyed my first batch yet (bottled last weekend) and I am totally addicted. I thought this was going to be a small hobby but I find myself constantly thinking about what I am going to brew next and combing this forum for info.

So am I nuts or do all new home brewer go through this?

nope totally normal, your going to be crackin open your first brews to early to. just to let you know!!

Welcome to the boat. We're all obsessed. :rockin: I'm the same way along with my wife. Just thoroughly enjoying the process. Oh, yeah, once you get to sipping the magic in a glass, it becomes even better.:mug:

So I just want to find out if I am normal or not by asking this question: "why am I so addicted to brewing my own beer"?

I just recently started home brewing, so new that I haven't even enjoyed my first batch yet (bottled last weekend) and I am totally addicted. I thought this was going to be a small hobby but I find myself constantly thinking about what I am going to brew next and combing this forum for info.

So am I nuts or do all new home brewer go through this?

Welcome to the addiction/passion.. Soon you will be going all grain if not already, then ya will start harvesting yeast, making your own equipment, entereing conests (keezer, kegerator, mash tun, wort chiller....the list goes on and on)

Ive been doing it for 3 years now, went from home brewer to pro brewer and think about the hobby everyday, its my passion and a calling. Not a day goes by where im not thinking about something brewing related..

Live the dream and do what ya love to do....brew beer!!!

Cheers and welcome aboard, theres some damn fine people on this forum and will help ya in anyway shape or form to help you produce great beer...

Enjoy the journey:)

Welcome to the hobby/ addiction.

I did 4 batches before I even tasted my first, so you are very normal. I Have a lot of beer sitting in the basement. I have a seperate beer fridge now so my wife does not complain about a lot of beer in the main fridge ( it was her idea) Just installed a couple of taps in there. a regular one and a nitro set up. Fermentation chambers. Many fermenters that are all full.

You know that you are obsessed when you go to log into your computer at work using your HBT login and password.

That's about right. I started in January this year and have spent countless hours on here trying to find how to do things better and cheaper. Took me a long time to figure out what SWMBO meant. If you don't you will.

I assumed that I was not nuts, despite what the wife says. I have found some great information on this forum and look forward to increasing my beer stash as soon as possible. Thanks for letting me know that I was not alone in my obsession. And yes, I logged in at work with my username and password...yes it's that bad.

Thanks everyone!

I went through the early addiction process starting in Dec 2011, really kicked in around Feb. Initially I tried to keep it under control and hide from the wife... Didn't work. She pretends to be interested, but I know she's really just humoring me. She doesn't drink beer at all, she does seem to be impressed that EVERYONE who tries my brew likes it. So, I keep working to improve my brew because I know it's not great yet, someday I hope it will be. Welcome to the obsession, there is LOTS of company here who understand, we're all on the same path. Enjoy!

My wife got me started with a Mr Beer and a few months after that I had half the garage taken up with buckets, bottles, kettles, mash tuns, etc. She complains about it at times, but I just remind her that she started it and that I have spent a relatively small amount on this hobby and am able to make my own beer for less than I can buy craft beer. I won't be able to say that once I start buying the fancy toys, but I don't need anything fancy at this point and am always surprised how good things I make turn out.

Back