Moving with carboys, is it too soon to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlescales

Reaction score
I'm moving cross country, I'd like to take the 4 gallons of mead I've been working on along with me. They were started late December early January, single gallon jugs.

My raspberry melomel and cyser are very clear, the other two not so much. I plan to put the jugs on the floorboards in front of the car so I can keep an eye on them, wrapped up in towels. I've read campden tablets can help prevent oxidation, so I will put 1 in each gallon before I go.

Any ideas or tips to make this easier? If I bottle the raspberry (started around Dec 29th) and the cyser (started some time mid january) in 2 weeks right before I leave, will I regret this? Perhaps try cold crashing the others? Or just take them as is, and hope for the best?

Thanks guys!

I'm moving cross country, I'd like to take the 4 gallons of mead I've been working on along with me. They were started late December early January, single gallon jugs.

My raspberry melomel and cyser are very clear, the other two not so much. I plan to put the jugs on the floorboards in front of the car so I can keep an eye on them, wrapped up in towels. I've read campden tablets can help prevent oxidation, so I will put 1 in each gallon before I go.

Any ideas or tips to make this easier? If I bottle the raspberry (started around Dec 29th) and the cyser (started some time mid january) in 2 weeks right before I leave, will I regret this? Perhaps try cold crashing the others? Or just take them as is, and hope for the best?

Thanks guys!
I don't see any issue with the actual meads, just that you need to make sure that the containers/fermenters don't get damaged - oh and don't put the heater on. That might liven them up a bit.....

technically you'll be doing a a lot of driving with open containers. Even if it is just a 1 gallon "fermentor".

I'd bottle as as late as possible before the move.

technically you'll be doing a a lot of driving with open containers. Even if it is just a 1 gallon "fermentor".

I'd bottle as as late as possible before the move.

This is not something I'd considered. I'll look into bottling the night before I move. Should I try cold crashing?

I plan to bottle 3 of the carboys... the 4th has a bochet that has been stuck forever at 1.80, still trying to get that one to finish fermenting. Just have to drive carefully.

The idea of having them out in the open is a stupid one... not sure what I was thinking, sure I would of realized my stupidity on that before the move.

Back