Brown Ale or Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I made this brown ale recipe with some help. It came out quite good, but in need of some improvements.
Having tasted many brewpubs samplers I find that I typically don't like the darkest (porters/stouts). But having bought a Dundee's sampler 12 pack I find that their porter tastes similar to my brown ale.
Is this a beer that kinda straddles the fence?

7 lbs golden light LME
12 oz chocolate malt
10 oz crystal 60
6 oz crystal 120
1 oz brown sugar (couldn't help it)
1 oz Williamette @ 60 mins
1/2 oz Will @ 15 mins
1/2 oz Will @ 5 mins
American Ale II

IMO, the Dundee Porter is on the light side or porters which probably makes it on the fence between a brown and a porter.

And so I'm curious as to what it is that sets its category if it falls in both.
I really liked the chocolatey tones of my previous brown so I have a revised recipe to try after a fermenter becomes available in nearly 2 weeks.

4 1/2 lbs pilden LME
1 1/4 lbs Bavarian wheat LME
10 oz chocolate 350 (previous was pale)
6 oz crystal 60
6 oz crystal 120
1/2 oz Centennial @ 60 mins
1/2 oz Centennial @ 15 mins
1/2 oz Centennial @ 5 mins
WLP 001 California
4 gal yield

The BJCP style guidelines will provide you with detailed style descriptions. They're similar, but porters are more roasty.

I made this brown ale recipe with some help. It came out quite good, but in need of some improvements.
Having tasted many brewpubs samplers I find that I typically don't like the darkest (porters/stouts). But having bought a Dundee's sampler 12 pack I find that their porter tastes similar to my brown ale.
Is this a beer that kinda straddles the fence?

7 lbs golden light LME
12 oz chocolate malt
10 oz crystal 60
6 oz crystal 120
1 oz brown sugar (couldn't help it)
1 oz Williamette @ 60 mins
1/2 oz Will @ 15 mins
1/2 oz Will @ 5 mins
American Ale II

I think that would probably still be considered an American brown ale. With different hops and less hop aroma, could probably be a brown porter. Though I may be wrong.

Latest posts

Back