Any Tips for brewing a Scottish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennedtj

Reaction score
I am about to brew my second ever beer. First one was an Irish Red which came out pretty good. Now I bought the Scottish Light Ale w/ White Labs Edinburgh Ale 028 kit. Was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions on the best ways to make this the best beer possible. Also, does anyone know what the expected alcohol content should be for this brew?

Hard to say the alcohol % with out the recipe. Ferment the Edinburgh in the colder range, but not below 62. I love this yeast strain and use it in a smoked porter that I make, good stuff.

Another vote for paying close attention to temps with that yeast. Ferment on the cooler side and make sure you pitch enough yeast to do the job. Many British isles strains want to floc out quickly, so make a nice sized starter and that should do the trick.

Another vote for paying close attention to temps with that yeast. Ferment on the cooler side and make sure you pitch enough yeast to do the job. Many British isles strains want to floc out quickly, so make a nice sized starter and that should do the trick.

Yes, white labs always recommends 65-68 range. A scottish ale should be very clean tasting beer. Low 60s are best, but make sure you are pitching the appropriate amount of yeast. You may need to make a starter to pitch the correct amounts of yeast. If you can't then keep it in the 65-68 range and should be ok.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Back