Head retention and mouthfeel reduced once force carbed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
I recently did a Dortmunder (Ale) that I was really happy with when I tasted it after secondary.

In the first stages of force carbing I was certain this one was going to be one of my best so far, but then....

As it got near the level of carbonation I wanted the mouthfeel and head retention started dropping, why is that?
Is this something that will change once it ages, is it just because it is young and freshly carbed or....

Really bummed about this one.

just over two weeks.

36°f @ 12-14 psi

I unknowingly unplugged the fermenter (chest freezer) on a friday before going away for the weekend during the time it was carbing.
It was up to 59°f when I got back, I then plugged it in and got the temps under control again.

I have had beer loose all mouthfeel while carbing, and then be fine once it was fully carbed. With your temps going up to 59*, you were not carbing as effectively as you would at 36. Give it another week and see if it gets better.

Thanks

I had a taste lats night and decided to go ahead and bottled the entire keg.

I needed it for the brew next in line.

I think it is going to be fine, perhaps not great but I´ll see in a week or so

Back