orange zest/peels post-fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
I did a pale ale 5 gal batch with 1/2 oz coriander. Fermentation is just about finished and the coriander is a touch stronger than I was hoping. My 2 questions would be 1)will the coriander mellow with time, and 2)if I wanted to add a bit of orange in my secondary, would it work, how much do I need, and what should I use? I saw a lot of recipes with adding zest with 5 minutes in the boil. I was thinking I'd use the orange to balance the coriander a bit but I thought of it after I tasted my batch 2 weeks in. I'll be transferring to the secondary and dry hopping Saturday so I was hoping to get some orange in it if you think it'll work. thoughts?

So I had a similar problem....... Dry spiced with orange peel for 5 days in the secondary as the beer was a coriander bomb (almost sickly). Ended up still with too much coriander; it did mellow 3 weeks in the bottle. Now at a month and a half in bottle it tastes great. I used zest of two oranges boiled in 1 cup of water, let cool and added it.

I use a whole oz cracked coriander. Then while beer is fermenting, take outer peel of two oranges and soak them in vodka or white rum to cover in a plastic covered bowl or sandwich container. Keep it in fridg and shake it daily. Add the liquor to the bottling bucket.
Put that beer out at a summer party and your guests will stay forever as long as there is more. lol

Bummer, I'm already 2 weeks into fermentation. Would 2 more weeks be enough to get the orange extract?

I'm in it. Also, the coriander is supermarket McCormick coriander and not Indian. Is this alright? I heard rumors of hot dog flavors

I didn't know there was different kinds of coriander. But I buy it whole and then crack it with beer bottle. And I don't filter it out I put EVERYTHING into the fermentor. A wheat beer can generally be bottled at two weeks. Get your orange going and leave the beer alone for another week. Don't transfer it til you bottle. I feel like especially at this time of the year, the less I touch or handle the beer, the better.

I got mine at a European food store $2.99 of 12oz! I added my orange peel it was two-weeks after I started fermenting while transferring to the secondary. I never got any hot dog flavors, even when it tasted heavy on the coriander.

I just use a product called "true orange" into a 5gal of a 10g goze I made. On the package it suggests to use one packet for 1 orange peel. I used 6 packs for the 5 gal and it gave a nice orange compliment to the coriander.

Check it out the also offer lemon and lime

Www.truelemon.com

Back