Stalled fermentation starts again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
My batch of hard lemonade stalled for two weeks at 1.012. I decided to add some clarifier on Friday evening to help it clear a bit before I back sweeten and bottled it.

Today (Sunday) I took a reading in the morning and it was 1.010. This evening it was down to 1.008.

Not sure if as it clears it gives a lower reading or if the fermentation has started again.

Seems like something is still working. Let it go until you get consistant readings on your hydro for at least 3 consecutive days before bottling it. I'd let it go a few more than that again if it were me.

Monday today and it is getting very clear; can see through it.

Gravity is also dropping; down to 1.004.

Amazing!

Derrick123 said:
Monday today and it is getting very clear; can see through it.

Gravity is also dropping; down to 1.004.

Amazing!

I would say if you had consistent readings for two weeks before you clarified, the drop in gravity is due to settling out the solids, not a restarted fermentation. Especially if you didn't notice any bubbly fermentation activity.

Ok, that makes sense.

So if that's the case I could go ahead and bottle once it clears to my desire and I have sweetened it??

Did you stabilize it before you back sweetened? If not, you just gave your yeast more food and it will ferment.

sweetsdream said:
Did you stabilize it before you back sweetened? If not, you just gave your yeast more food and it will ferment.

Hi,

I have not stabilized or back sweetened yet.

I guess I was waiting until the readings stabilized again before I did that.

Back