Who Brewed beer for Christmas!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downhillfromhere

Reaction score
Curious to see who else made a special brew for Xmas/The Holidays?

I did a Xmas Vanilla Porter to send back home to Chicago, it hasn't even been 2 weeks since it was brewed, and I'm already drinking a sample :) Not bad for 7%abv! Still has 2 weeks to go, but heck, it's drinkable now. A strong roasty Vanilla aroma, but the taste is quite a bit more subdude, spot on!

What else do we have out there for Xmas beers?:mug:

My brew-buddies and I have made a hogmanale for New Years. Hogmanay is the scots name for the last day of the year, and the associated party. Its based on the malt from an amber we've done in the past, with the hops way scaled back, beefed up with molasses and spiced with chai tea, cloves and vanilla. Should be about 7.5%abv.

Made my x-mas brew back in July. Bottle 5 gallons last week with the beer gun for gifts and the other 5 is on tap. Planning ahead is a wonderful thing....

I brewed a Chocolate Mint Stout and a Mocha Stout. The Mocha stout is ready for kegs, but the Mint Stout might not be ready in time.

I did a Xmas Vanilla Porter to send back home to Chicago,

Man, you totally didn't have to do that! But how did you get my address? ;)

Seriously, though, I did make a batch of Northern Brewer's Winter Spiced Ale for gifts for the neighbors and to drink over the winter. The mulling spice addition in the BK made the house smell wonderful. The airlock smelled like Santa's reindeer's farts (that's a good thing). When I bottled/kegged it last night, the spice taste was pretty strong. I'm hoping they mellow out somewhat and that the bite from the carbonation helps to make this a delicious beer.

I did a pumpkin porter, just kinda threw a recipe together, not my favorite, but alot of people liked it. I brewed a Ghiradelli chocolate mocha oatmeal stout Friday night, that should be great.

Man, you totally didn't have to do that! But how did you get my address? ;)

Seriously, though, I did make a batch of Northern Brewer's Winter Spiced Ale for gifts for the neighbors and to drink over the winter. The mulling spice addition in the BK made the house smell wonderful. The airlock smelled like Santa's reindeer's farts (that's a good thing). When I bottled/kegged it last night, the spice taste was pretty strong. I'm hoping they mellow out somewhat and that the bite from the carbonation helps to make this a delicious beer.

saw it on one of your old posts, I'm hoping all the bottles make it in tact :D My family is full of beer lovers, so the Porter should go over really well. I'm sending a Saison I brewed about 6-8 weeks back as well to keep the "I don't like dark beer" crowd happy

I did a stout with attitude. I put everything in. Special B, Crystal 80, choc malt, roast barley, oatmeal, munich, 4oz coffee. Dag gum this puppy has flavour and 6.5%ABV, and a thick brown head. It tastes like a carbonated black russian.:ban:

I just wrote up a recipe for the same thing. BIG Coffee Stout, about 7% and probably a similar grain bill to yours, except no Munich, with honey malt :)

I made a vanilla porter and a first attempt at an arrogant bastard clone (needs much work, but tastes ok anyway) for new years. I might have a bottle of 2 month apfelwien for Christmas, or just stick to rum with a little eggnog :)

I made a honey porter and Edwort's Apfelwein for Christmas. I'll keg on the 18th and tap on the 23rd. For new years I have a Fat Tire clone and Killer Bee Hefe. Need more kegs Santa!

I made a BMC ale based on labatt blue light (for SWMBO's father for xmas)... I'm pretty proud of the lack of flaws!

I also made a gingerbread brown ale but it won't be ready til mid-January, unfortunately.

Brewed a 5 gallon batch of a New Belgian 1554 clone. Found out (wife told me) that we are having a Christmas party, so I added some clove a couple of days ago. Today I kegged it and plan to drink it next weekend.

Steven b~

On 23 October, I brewed up a Northern Brewer partial mash kit called "Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter." I racked it to secondary on 7 November, and bottled it on 28 November. I plan on chilling a bunch and opening them on Christmas Day as we celebrate the holiday. I brewed an Oatmeal Stout late in summer, and I've enjoyed that...I'm getting excited about the porter!

Have the Founders Breakfast Stout clone (see Recipes / Stout) in the bottles for about a week and a half, have hopes it'll be ready to drink by Christmas.....but this is going to be about 8%, I think, and that may be pushing it. A batch of Bigfoot Barleywine has been in the bottle about 2 months, but it'll probably be awesome Christmas 2011.....

I brewed up a RIS back in Feb for this Christmas. Which reminds me since my family is coming to my house I need to have someone retrieve the two cases. I was planning on being up there for Christmas, but instead they're coming here. I had hidden it in my parents basement so I would stay out of the beer until now. Hopefully I can describe where it is well enough for someone to find the beer.

I brewed a gingerbread ale, as described in Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing book. I'm kegging it this week.

I brewed a Spiced Ale a few months back that I recently kegged/carbed. The 'required sampling' was quite nice indeed.

I've got a lightly spiced old ale lined up for christmas, tasted amazing when was bottling it, one more week before it's ready to drink.....

I did not brew a specific beer for Christmas, but I did hold back 8 bottles from 6 different batches to give as gifts to some special friends. I then made some racks as presentation boxes. These are the clear ones I keep for myself to monitor bottle condition, but they look something like this: Left to right -

AHS StormCastle Brown
Brewer's Best Imperial Pale Ale
American Brewmaster ( LHBS )Irish Red
DeathBrewer's SMaSH APA
Hazy Daze ( My first recipe! )
AHS Session Blonde

rack.jpg

Made a robust porter, and aged it on some wood from Templeton Rye Whiskey. Kegged a little over a week ago, and kept a nice piece of the wood in the keg for a little extra flavor. mmmmmmm whiskey beer.

We have a huge feast on the winter solstice every year (or the weekend before when it hits on a worknight like this year) and I have 20 gallons on hand for it. The special brew just for the occasion is a mint chocolate brown. Unfortunately I think I wrecked that one with too much mint and will probably not serve it. Luckily I have a regular chocolate brown, a sweet amber, and a 12% apfelwein.

I have about 12 days off for the Holidays. Yes, I prepared for it. Currently stocked to the gills with beer and beer in process.

I made a Belgian, um, thing to give away as gifts. Vienna malt, orange blossom honey (added in secondary), coriander, WLP530. It's been ready to go for weeks, I just need to bottle the stuff. It's about 7% ABV.

I have about 12 days off for the Holidays. Yes, I prepared for it. Currently stocked to the gills with beer and beer in process.

Sweet! It should only take me 18 hours or so if I drive straight through. Should be at your place sometime this Sunday. :D

I made a Vanilla Toffee Cream Ale from a recipe I found from another member here, Ryan over at ryanbrews.blogspot.com/

Link

Just bottled it last Thursday, but the hydro samples taste great.

Two slightly different batches of spiced pale ale. One with ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and sweet orange peel, the other similar but with no orange. The second batch just went into bottles the other day because the first batch was disappearing pretty quickly.

I have a 6 month Apfelwein that I'm getting ready to bottle for Christmas presents for my family... Its potent stuff.

Nothing special. Just a Dry Stout on Chimay yeast that I'm taking to my parents in the Miller Lite Home Draft to share with everyone.

I made a Trappist dubbel with sweet potatoes that's been in the bottle for about six weeks now. I'm hoping it will evolve into the "getting good" category right around Christmas.

Back