'Blixem's Revenge' 6.5% Christmas Stout Brewday Photos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelegout

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is a beer I brewed back in late October. It's a Christmas Stout which is 6.5% and pretty hearty!

In the original version of 'Twas The Night Before Christmas', originally called 'A Visit From St. Nicholas', the last two reindeer are not Donner & Blitzen, but Dunder & Blixem. :)

Blixem's Revenge
Brunken Dastard Brewery

Style: Christmas Stout
ABV: 6.5%

Grain Bill:(Cant remember right now - will fill it in when I get home and check my ipad)

Hops:
50g of EKGs @60 mins
10g of EKGs @15 mins
1tsp irish moss (usually use protofloc but had none in stock)

Yeast: Nottingham

This was my second test batch on the new Electric HERMS brewery. It was a success apart from a stuck mash, which was soon sorted.
Ok, now pics!

xvDfc.jpg

This is the brewery - it's an eHERMS system I built from scratch, had to learn to weld and stuff it was a real learning experience and I'm really happy to finally be brewing on it!

z6sD5.jpg

I use a brewing app called iBrewMaster on the ipad for recipe storage, batch organisation, scheduling, etc. The one thing it doesn't have is stock control which is a pain.

ScGSM.jpg

Here's the grain bill

ZvDVI.jpg

Mashing in

JMe1b.jpg

Recirculating through the HERMS coil

oCKWV.jpg

Hit the mash temp pretty much perfectly :)

AcQg7.jpg

View of the recirculating mash - I should really make some kind of return manifold, but that can wait until the spring (I have no workshop so everything I've built has been made in the back garden!)

Recirculating video

viDIX.jpg

I only have one pump at the moment, so I have to sparge by adding the sparge water, recirculating, then lautering it all in one go.

AwZhW.jpg

I bring it all up to 75c mash out temp, and then recirculate and pump to boil kettle.

W3t0U.jpg

Spent Grain

0FXyN.jpg

Once the wort is over the elements by 2" I turn both of them on. They're 1275 watt elements, so the boil gets started pretty quickly. I have to turn off one element and stir as soon as it starts to boil or I get a huge boil over.

JeQlR.jpg

60 min hops ready - 50g of EKGs

CsjZP.jpg

15 min hops ready - 10g of EKGs with 1tsp of Irish Moss to help coagulate the proteins and get a clearer beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
4ibwh.jpg

Hops in!

Camera and phone ran out of battery here :( I chilled with a cfc which took bloody ages - next time I'll pump it through but I'm not sure how clean that would be!

zeV0X.jpg

I left it to ferment and came back the next day to find that the yeasties had got exited and made a right mess!

axJx4.jpg

Bottled 2 weeks later, and then left it in storage for a month or so.

qp6Tu.jpg

Labels on. These should make good christmas pressies!

PSB1c.jpg

A month later and it started snowing - so I cracked open a pint and gave it a go. It's great! The only problem was that I did my refractometer calculations wrong and ended up bottling at 1.020SG with half a tsp of sugar in each bottle, which made it a little more carbonated than I had intended. The beer has a deep coffee taste with bitter chocolate and a good background hoppiness to balance the maltiness. It's surprisingly easy to drink considering the alcohol content, and one pint does get you a little squiffy :D

your simple setup makes me want to go HERMS status.

now im off to research a HERMS system.

-=Jason=-

That is Awesome!!! I dig your set up; I'm about to make the gas version of what you have. The bottles and labels look really nice as well.:rockin:

Cheers : ) It was strange brewing on it for the first time - because after 6 months of building the brewery I had expected the brewing to be as complicated as the building - but with the pump and the HERMS it's so simple you almost can't believe you're brewing beer!

Back