What hops will give me grapefruit??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullshivit-brew

Reaction score
Im thinking of dry hopping a beer I made 3 weeks. Just got back from Cali. and my uncle had an IPA out of Organ called NIKKIKA or somethen like that. Help with the name please

This stuff rocked I dont care for IPA's but this was fantastic. very strong grape fruit flaver to it I loved it and would like to get some of this in this batch.

Ok what kind of hops do you think it may be? Im thinking amarillo. what do you think?

Anyone know the brewer? my uncle said he knows the guy threw his wifes family some how. Would love to have the recipe for it.

an IPA out of Organ called NIKKIKA or somethen like that.

First up, It's OREGON! not Organ. Most people pronounce it funny but they usually get the spelling right... hehe

It was probably Ninkasi. They make incredible beer. They are obsessed with hops.

Their IPA is called Total Domination.

Because you are very lucky, I happen to know that they use Summit for bittering, Amarillo and Centennial for flavor/aroma.

Thanks for the fast replys guys. sorry for the spelling working midnights and getting 4hr sleep a day has taken its toll on me brain this week lol

I have 1oz of amarillo on hand its a 4gal batch. Think it would give me what im looking for?

It will certainly do something. Amarillo is very tasty. Amarillo is similar to cascade and both have some grapefruit flavors in them. One of the favorites at the recent Oregon Brewer's Festival was a beer double dry-hopped with Amarillo. 1oz is a decent amount, although you could add some more if you wanted to buy some (maybe some Centennial?)

Man, I have seen worst spellings or pronunciations of Oregon. Turn on your dirty thinking caps for that one.
I also put the rinds of lemons, oranges, and grape fruits into my secondary if I feel like it. (I brew what I like, but I don't put fruit in my final beers ! )
I would recommend organic, to avoid wax and other junk on most store fruit.
Best of luck, and more importantly:
"Ninkasi Brewing in Eugene. They make some really good beer", Does anyone know if they sell their beer outside of local distributors. I always enjoy new good beers.

The most grapefruity beer I have had is Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Like sticking your face in a fresh cut grapefruit. Would be interesting to compare the hop bills for the 2...

The most grapefruity beer I have had is Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Like sticking your face in a fresh cut grapefruit. Would be interesting to compare the hop bills for the 2...

I'll see your LSS and raise you a Yards Pale Ale. :cross:

You'll love Amarillo. I brewed an IPA with nothing but Amarillo and it's a grapefruit-tangerine explosion. :D

The most "grapefruity" hop out there IMO anyway is simcoe.Maybe it's just my palate,but I think it tastes just like grapefruit with a hint of pine.

I just got a bunch of BJCP cards on an IPA I entered into a local homebrew contest. Quite a few of them mentioned 'grapefruit'. I used mostly Magnum, Warrior and Cascade. My guess is the grapefruit came from the Cascade.

The most grapefruity beer I ever tasted was Hopslam. In the Hopslam clone topic here, a guy posted an email from the company that said dry-hopping with simcoe is the ticket. Or was it amarillo? No... I'm pretty sure it was simcoe.

I brewed a Wheat IPA that I used too much honey malt in (2 lbs)... The finish tastes like you just had half a grapefruit covered with honey... I used about 3 oz of Amarillo between bittering and 20 and 5 minute additions and more added at flameout...

Latest posts

Back