Looking for suggestions!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1978

Reaction score
Im looking to install a muffin fan in my kegerator and i have found many on ebay for dirt cheap. However, i know nothing about whats good and what isnt, so im looking for suggestions on cheap and easy fan installation. I need a list of things i will need in order to achieve this. LIKE, how do I wire it?

an easy way to go, as in what I would do, would be to use a wall wart and a PC fan. If you do go this route, make sure its between a 5VDC and 12VDC wall wart, you can then just clip the plug off the cable and splice it directly to a leg on the fan. As a note, + is usually red and - is usually black, If you have a multimeter, you can check the polarity of the adapter with that. I would also recommend this is you are much less likely to hurt yourself or burn down your house.

If you do go with a 120VAC fan, Keep in mind that Black is hot, White is neutral, and green is ground, Though, if your not sure about that, find a friend who knows better and ask them to help you out, Its a good way to learn and your probably much better off

I'd just go with a cheap PC fan from circuit city, best buy, walmart, etc. I got one for $8.00 that runs continuously in my keezer... extremely efficient when it comes to power bills while still capable of moving plenty of air.

8498565_sa.jpg

In order to accommodate the 12 V DC power, just clip off the end of a cell phone charger or universal DC adapter (from Walmart) and wire it to the fan... anything ranging from 9-12 volts will work fine (just read the label on it).

Like this:
0060952501962_500X500.jpg

Total of about $16 and you're up and running.

Okay so this is new to me, i wanna make sure i got this right. I've just found an old 9V AC power adapter. Cut the plug off the adapter, expose the wires, and twist together the wires from the fan and the adapter, plug in and go!
Is this correct??

You probably mean an AC to DC adapter, correct? If so, then yes... though I'd highly recommend a physical crimp and solder over simply twisting the wires.

oh yeah, that should work just fine, sometimes you come across 120VAC to 18VAC adapters or something and you plug them in and they release the smoke. Keep that in mind, you you release the smoke in things, they usually wont work anymore, even if you somehow manage to capture it and put it back in.

second on the crimp connectors, those things are great(usually)

Can multiple fans be wired to the same charging adapter?

that all depends on the fans and your power supply. The fan I have in my closet it 0.60A at 12VDC so I would need at least 1.2A to run 2 of them. If it were an ideal resistive load (which a fan isn't, there's all kinds of circuitry in them) it would require less current at a lower voltage. Just assume that you fan always takes the current stamped on it.

If you do wire multiple fans together, run them in parallel.

Back