AB's New Sorghum beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably try it (if someone else is buying). I know enough people with Celiac disease that it would be worth being able to make a recommendation.

I would be interested to see what it tastes like. I'm sure they put a lot of time and effort to strip out all the flavor they could.

RichBrewer said:
I would be interested to see what it tastes like. I'm sure they put a lot of time and effort to strip out all the flavor they could.

Of course. They need a beer that appeals to all 3 million people diagnosed with Celiac disese ;)

Kai

I'm willing to bet they're making it because there's a higher profit margin in it. Don't know that for a fact, but call me a skeptic. ;)

Anyone else find the line "Can't enjoy a brew because you're allergic to wheat?" line funny?

I am currently drinking my first bottle of Redbridge. It's really not too bad. I had no idea what to expect and bought it because...well...Walmart has a crappy selection of brew and this was new.

It is a nice deep golden color and the head fades fast with no lacing. It's actually got a bit of hop to it which is nice for an AB beer. Really it's not too bad of a beer though I've never had another sorghum beer to compare it to.

I've just tried one of these and it was pretty decent. It did have a nice hop flavor and had a fuller mouth feel than, say, a Bud.

I tried it about 2 weeks ago, personally i didn't like it... There were very few things that stuck out as enjoyable... The hop taste and aroma was ok but overall the beer left a really weird feeling in your mouth... overall not bad, but not all that great...

Please consider, when you rate this beer, that those with Celiac disease have no other option besides sorghum if they want to drink beer. Both my mother and one of my brothers have Celiac's. That means NO gluten. Sorghum is one of the only grains suitable for brewing that does not contain gluten. There are currently only 2 other brands of Gluten-free beers (possibly a couple more by now), but most micros can't keep up with the demand (not to mention the hefty markup they place on the G-Free beers). Getting a G-free beer at a bar is basically impossible. For these reasons, both my family members have given up beer drinking altogether in favor of wine and liquor. It is extremely good news for all Celiacs that a big company is getting into the mix.

Back