Kettlehouse Cold Smoke Scotch Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roger that...emailed them yesterday regarding the black IPA. i'll let you know if they send the recipe!

Alright everybody, I have had my Cold Smoke Clone (1st attempt) bottled for a while now, and it is pretty tasty. I had a little trouble hitting my anticipated OG with the partial mash recipe I used, presumably just because I didn't get very good efficiency in my mash(?). Anyhow, I just brought it up to my OG with DME, and got within 0.005 gravity points. Anyhow, this lead to slight dilution of the flavor from my roasted barley and whatnot. All in all my 1st attempt was not a perfect Cold Smoke clone, but still delicious. Good enough that I will certainly be giving this another attempt in the coming months, which will hopefully have a flavor closer to what I am shooting for.:mug:

yo coldsmokers...i'm going to finally pull the trigger and brew it up this week...just wondering if you all went with the 2 hour boil kettlehouse usually does? or did you just boil for an hour like most recipes?

Hello,

MizooBrew: My batch came in at 1.055 but hit down to 1.010. This was only my fourth all-grain batch, so I'm a little new to that process... I did mash about 2 degrees higher then they do. I tasted it at kegging time and it was tasty, so we'll see when it's carbed up in the next week or so.

hopdropper: I did the 2 hour boil time. This gives better carmilization as well as better hop utilization. You could probably get by with an hour boil though I'd up the bittering hops slightly and you may not get the exact flavor profile you are shooting for. EDIT: By the way... the 2 hour boil seemed to drag on forever...

remuS...how much wort did you start with in the boil? and how much was left after the two hour boil? just wondering if i should try and collect 7 or 7.5 gallons pre-boil to make sure i end up with 5 into the fermenter...

hopdropper: If I remember correctly, I did a 7.25 or 7.5 gallon boil and collected almost 5 gallons exactly after boil. I'll try to post later tonight when I can check for sure.

well, add another coldsmoke clone to the books...brewed it up this afternoon. OG came in suprisingly low though...about 1.048. all my other all-grain batches have always been within a couple points of the target, but had difficulty with this one. noticed the caramel 120L was poorly crushed (if crushed at all) so that maybe was part of the problem...didn't realize it until too late...rookie mistake. do any of you think that 5 oz of uncrushed 120L would lower the OG by that much?
started with 7.3 gallons, boiled for 2 hours, 5 gallons into the fermenter. pitched wyeast scottish. now the waiting game...

hopdropper: the 120L has a negligible affect on gravity points. One pound in one gallon would contribute between 1.020 - 1.030 gravity points. So I'm guessing something else happened. Did you maintain temps throughout your mash? ( It's been cold in Bozeman the last few weeks).

I'm new to the all-grain scene so I've been adding an extra pound or so of 2-row to make up for my poor efficiency. When I scrap together the cash I plan on buying a grain mill - I've read most Homebrew shops give less then perfect crushes in order to increase grain sales.

thanks for the input remus...i've also been thinking about a grain mill, and buying grain from madison river brewery. their grain is cheap...i think the 2-row is only 60 cents a pound...and the specialty grains around $1.25....and hops are $1.50 oz...quite a bit cheaper than any online resource i've found. plus no shipping, plus supporting local business....and the best part, it gives me an excuse to stop buy the brewery.
as far as mash temps...i know they were good. stuck the thermometer in after 60 min and it was right around 152. i've been mashing at 1.4 qts of water per pound of grain, then batch sparging to make up the difference from whats lost through absorbtion. wondering if i messed up there...
anyway, it still should come in around 5% ABV...just hope the flavor is there...

Grain mill is the way to go. Then you can have grains lying around for longer. Farmhouse brewing has good deals on hops. You have to buy 4oz at a time but then you can always have some floating around.

Remus- How did your brew turn out? Mine isnt too bad!... not quite as roasty as the real deal but definitely similar tastes.

hey jlovgren406....farmhouse brewing...how's their shipping costs? checked them out quickly online...looks like a good selection of grain and hops...

I've only ever order hops from them and I think its around 5 bucks for a pound of hops (4 - 4oz selections) Fast shipping too. I highly recommend.

bottled the coldsmoke today...tastes like ass. not sure what went wrong but it tastes nothing like what i've bought at the store. my OG was a bit low, but can't imagine it would have altered the flavor that much. if it doesn't age well in the bottle, it will be getting dumped out.
any luck on any of the other tries out there?

My clone turned out very well. It was missing some roasted flavor as well.

Ill definitely be doing this one again... next time ill up the2row to try to compensate for my poor efficiency and try to add some more chocolate malt or something.

Lasted 2 and 1/2 weeks in the keg before I drank it all.

huh, glad to know it worked out well for you...guess i'll give it one more shot down the road. maybe i ended up with a contamination issue or something. i'll give 'er a few weeks in the bottle and see how things age...would be a bummer to dump out 5 gallons but i guess thats how things go sometimes.

Yeah, that be a sad day to pour 5 gallons of it. Hopefully some time turns it around for you; I let mine sit for almost 8 weeks total. 3.5 in the carboy and then carbed slowly at room temp for the rest of the time.

A quick note for anyone still curious about the yeast to use: I spoke to someone at Kettlehouse a couple weeks ago and he mentioned that their house yeast is the WLP001/Wyeast 1056/Safale US-05.

5.4 lb light DME
0.25 lb brown sugar
5.1 oz 120L Crystal malt
3.2 oz Black Malt
1.4 oz Roasted Barley
0.3 oz Golding hops (at flameout)
10.5 IBUs from Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus

I and a friend just tried the above recipe this weekend and ended up with a fairly low OG (1.050). We used Chinook Hops rather than CTZ but that was the only difference. Did everyone else's OG end up where it should be or were you also experiencing lower OG? What would you suggest trying in the future to rectify this? More Brown sugar? More Malt?

Hi Cooperia,

I ended up almost .01 lower but attribute that to using precrushed grains from an online retailer. Next time I brew it I think I'll be much closer, if not higher.

I would up the DME next time to achieve an OG closer to the expected.

remuS,

Thanks. I figured the DME was probably going to be the place to start. My supply store sells DME in 3 lb bags so it would be more convenient to do 6lbs anyway. Judging by what Hopville's calculator says, that should put us a lot closer to 1.065 - although still a bit low.

Have any of you had a chance to mess around with the proportions of specialty grains? If so, any wonderful results?

Hi Cooperia,

I've only brewed this once. Though if I do it again I would probably up the black malt or barley a bit. I found it lacked some of the roasted flavor the commercial version has.

Here's the conversion to a 5 Gallon batch... Let me know if my math is wrong.

9.14# 2 Row
0.322# 120L
0.204# Black Malt
0.091# Roasted Barley

10.5 IBUs @ 110
0.27# Brown Sugar @ 30
0.3 OZ Goldings @ 0

Note this is for a 2 hour boil, so adjust accordingly.

One key adjustment needs to be made for this recipe....the brewery recipe reflects much higher efficiency than most home brewers will get...thus the low OG several have experienced using this grain bill. Scale UP the grainbill until the expected OG is 1.066 for your normal efficiency.

One key adjustment needs to be made for this recipe....the brewery recipe reflects much higher efficiency than most home brewers will get...thus the low OG several have experienced using this grain bill. Scale UP the grainbill until the expected OG is 1.066 for your normal efficiency.
I love this beer, and any time I run through Zoo town or Bozo these days, I pick up a 4 pack, or now I've found them in 6 packs. Good stuff!

Exactly pwkblue! I'm calculating this recipe at 93% efficiency. Depending on the brewsystem, I usually get 75% - 80% efficiency, although once I did get around 97% efficiency. I think it was a fluke or a miscalculation somewhere.

So assuming 75% efficiency, and a 10g batch, here are some rough estimates:

2-Row: 22# 8oz: 93.6%
Black Patent: 8oz: 2.1%
Roasted Barley: 4oz: 1%
Crystal 120L: 2.4oz: .6%
Brown Sugar: 10.4oz: 2.7%

Columbus (CTZ): 14.5% AA: .4oz @ 110 minutes left of boil
East Kent Goldings: 5% AA: .6oz @ Flameout

Note: Kettlehouse's recipe calls for a ratio of 2.5 ratio of water to grain. I take that to mean they are mashing at 2.5 quarts per pound of grain. With 23.4#s of grain, that would be 14.625 gallons of water. Most 15 gallon mash tuns won't even hold this much mash, so I would say you should use as much water as possible for your system.

Second Note: Also they bring the MT from 150F up to 168F before boiling. So, you'll need to have some way to heat your mash ... maybe you'll have to start circulating the wort into the boil kettle to heat it, then back into the MT continuing the cycle till you hit 168F.

I would also venture to guess they don't sparge; there is enough water in the mash to give them all the wort needed for the boil. So, you'd need to adjust accordingly. But I'll leave that piece for someone else.

Cheers!
- BD

I love this beer, and any time I run through Zoo town or Bozo these days, I pick up a 4 pack, or now I've found them in 6 packs. Good stuff!

Exactly pwkblue! I'm calculating this recipe at 93% efficiency. Depending on the brewsystem, I usually get 75% - 80% efficiency, although once I did get around 97% efficiency. I think it was a fluke or a miscalculation somewhere.

Note: Kettlehouse's recipe calls for a ratio of 2.5 ratio of water to grain. I take that to mean they are mashing at 2.5 quarts per pound of grain. With 23.4#s of grain, that would be 14.625 gallons of water. Most 15 gallon mash tuns won't even hold this much mash, so I would say you should use as much water as possible for your system.

Second Note: Also they bring the MT from 150F up to 168F before boiling. So, you'll need to have some way to heat your mash ... maybe you'll have to start circulating the wort into the boil kettle to heat it, then back into the MT continuing the cycle till you hit 168F.

I would also venture to guess they don't sparge; there is enough water in the mash to give them all the wort needed for the boil. So, you'd need to adjust accordingly. But I'll leave that piece for someone else.

Cheers!
- BD

How did this recipe turn out?

I'm real curious how it turns out too...I tried the original recipe awhile back and it didn't come out so good. Anxious to hear how the beefed-up version tastes. That Coldsmoke has got to be one of my favorite MT brews...

Well, I brewed a modified version yesterday (I can't really copy the recipe verbatim). I love Coldsmoke, and actually have a couple in the fridge for tasting when this test recipe is finished fermenting. It will be interesting to compare the two.

Batch Size: 18 Gal - 25 Gal MT/BK
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80%

2-Row: 40#
Choc Wheat Malt (400 SRM): 1.4#
Crystal 40L: .5#
Roasted Barley: .5#
Magnum: .6 oz @ 110 (9.4 IBUs)
CTZ: .4 oz @ 110 (6.3 IBUs)
Brown Sugar: 1# @ 30
Tettnanger: .95 oz @ 0

Mash @ 151 - 60 min
Temp rise to 159F - 20 min
Boil: 120 Min

Initial thoughts last night:
- Remember to fill the propane tank before starting to brew. (DOH!)
- Didn't want to raise the temp to 168F because I needed to sparge, and want to maximize sugar extraction.
- Came out a bit darker than expected, might use less Chocolate Wheat in future batches.
- SG: 1070 - target I was trying to hit.

Hop additions seemed really good. I was surprised the 110 addition didn't seem bitter at all. The Br Sugar was noticeable, but not too pronounced; it may need a bit of aging to fully blend. All in all, it seems alright. I'm really interested in how it turns out and what people will think.

Cheers,
- BD

Cheers!
- BD

any advice on suggestions for a sub for east kent golding?

the IBU's are very low...but you can pick the EKG is more important than the CTZ.

I would start with the obvious sub of any other "Goldings" Hop...the US, BC, and other Goldings are the same hop. After that I'd go with Willamette, or maybe fuggles

Cheers!
- BD

I highly doubt a pro brewery does no sparge. They would just be wasting gravity points which is a lot of money lost.

I'll be brewing this up on Monday, will post results.

Well, I brewed a modified version yesterday (I can't really copy the recipe verbatim). ...

So we're calling it Frostbridge. The pilot batch went over really well. Most people around here haven't had the opportunity to try Coldsmoke. Frostbridge came out a little maltier and a little darker, but people loved it; it didn't make it past the weekend.

So now we're trying out our second batch on the 3BBL system. Looks like this one is only coming out @ 6% vs 6.5% in the pilot. Carbing tonight, kegging tomorrow - Just in time for our Friday night event. I'll let you know how the last batch came out.

Prost!
- BD

I just remembered how much I loved this beer when traveling through Missoula and this thread was extremely helpful. I'm going to brew it next Tuesday with the following recipe (pasted from the Brewers Friend calculator). I decided I wanted to try and tone it down in ABV a bit but I want to keep all the flavor if possible, so I'm just cutting back the 2-row from 13 lbs (the correct amount to get 1.066 with my ****ty efficiency) and leaving everything else the same. I still expect that the yeast efficiency will be higher than this calculator says due to the low mash temps and will finish around 1.012, but I'd be happy either way.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Hot Tar
Author: Kettlehouse Brewing's Cold Smoke (Scaled)

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Scottish Heavy 70/-
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.25%
IBU (tinseth): 12.08
SRM (morey): 22.11

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (88.9%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (4%)
5 oz - American - Black Malt (2.5%)
2 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1%)
7 oz - Brown Sugar (3.5%)

HOPS:
0.2 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 12.08
0.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.5 gal, strike at 160
2) Temperature, Temp: 168 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 4.5 gal, step mash
3) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 4 gal, adjust volume as necessary
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast WLP028 - 2 vials
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 72.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 65 - 70 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Just as an update - the beer turned out extremely super delicious. I ended up getting 70% efficiency instead of 60%, still hit the FG target, so it was closer to 6.5% ABV. I had a party and people destroyed it. A++ would brew again.

I just bought a partial mash Cold Smoke clone kit from Austin Homebrew and the ingredients are very close to what's listed above. They didn't include brown sugar, but I'm going to toss some in. Brewing it tomorrow. I've got high hopes... I'm originally from MT and went to college in Missoula. Cold Smoke is one of my favorites but I can't get it in SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's my recipe for 6 gal batch of Cold Smoke Scotch Ale clone:

11 lbs 2 row
0.39 lbs 120L
0.25 lbs Black
0.10 lbs barley

0.25 oz Columbus @ 110min
5.18 oz Brown Sugar @ 30min
0.36 oz Goldings @ 0min

WL-001 or US-05

Boil size is 7.3 gal

Cheers!

Here's my recipe for 6 gal batch of Cold Smoke Scotch Ale clone:

11 lbs 2 row
0.39 lbs 120L
0.25 lbs Black
0.10 lbs barley

0.25 oz Columbus @ 110min
5.18 oz Brown Sugar @ 30min
0.36 oz Goldings @ 0min

WL-001 or US-05

Boil size is 7.3 gal

Cheers!

You only boil off 1.3 gallons in 110+ minutes? Other than that, seems pretty similar to other recipes in the thread.

Its actually 120 min boil, mash at 154F. I got most of the recipe from the brewer though he gave me the 3100 gal recipe and the 110 min hops in AA, not specific type. I picked Columbus. I ended up short of the 6 gal batch, it was more like 4.5 gal but I think it was my mash temp that messed up the 6 gal target. The beer is very tasty and matches the flavor of Cold Smoke, I am brewing again this Sunday and will add 17F to the mash temp to adjust for the cold and grain absorption decrease in temp. I can post the brewers recipe if anyone is interested.

I think you should take a step back. The difference in the preboil volume (after your mash) and the postboil volume (after boiling, before putting in the fermenter) has nothing to do with the mash temperature. If you increase your mash temperature up 17 degrees from 154, you'll be at 171 which will result in almost completely unfermentable beer.

Did you record how much volume you had just before starting the boil? If it was the 7.3 gallons you mentioned above, then that means you boiled off about 2.75 gallons, which sounds about right for 2 hours. If you want to end with 6 gallons, you should use enough water in your mash to have a preboil volume of 8.75 gallons.

I just remembered how much I loved this beer when traveling through Missoula and this thread was extremely helpful. I'm going to brew it next Tuesday with the following recipe (pasted from the Brewers Friend calculator). I decided I wanted to try and tone it down in ABV a bit but I want to keep all the flavor if possible, so I'm just cutting back the 2-row from 13 lbs (the correct amount to get 1.066 with my ****ty efficiency) and leaving everything else the same. I still expect that the yeast efficiency will be higher than this calculator says due to the low mash temps and will finish around 1.012, but I'd be happy either way.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Hot Tar
Author: Kettlehouse Brewing's Cold Smoke (Scaled)

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Scottish Heavy 70/-
Boil Time: 120 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.25%
IBU (tinseth): 12.08
SRM (morey): 22.11

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (88.9%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (4%)
5 oz - American - Black Malt (2.5%)
2 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1%)
7 oz - Brown Sugar (3.5%)

HOPS:
0.2 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 12.08
0.5 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.5 gal, strike at 160
2) Temperature, Temp: 168 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 4.5 gal, step mash
3) Sparge, Temp: 185 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 4 gal, adjust volume as necessary
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
White Labs - Edinburgh Scottish Ale Yeast WLP028 - 2 vials
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 72.5%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 65 - 70 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Hey dtwhite, beginner here that is also hooked on The Smoke. I am a bit confused on how much water to add; 4.5g, then another 4.5g, then 4 gallons to sparge? Or do you only sparge until it runs clear? And 185° for sparge temp, is that too hot if I am using an igloo cooler? Thanks.

Back