What's your favorite drinking glass type?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
Mugs, steins, flutes, pilsener glasses, stout glasses, goblets, bottles, skulls of vanquished foes, carbonation-optimized pieces or industry swag, curvy ones and down-to-earth ones, and maybe even a simple shotglass: what do you prefer to drink from? Do you stick to glassware intended for specific beer styles or do you take caution to the wind?

Mugs, steins, flutes, pilsener glasses, stout glasses, goblets, bottles, skulls of vanquished foes, carbonation-optimized pieces or industry swag, curvy ones and down-to-earth ones, and maybe even a simple shotglass: what do you prefer to drink from? Do you stick to glassware intended for specific beer styles or do you take caution to the wind?

I'm a devotee of the pilfered pint glass.

I find myself reaching for a snifter most often, just feels right. But I also love an English pub glass. I am a firm believer in using the right glass for the style...even if the difference is only mental perception.

Love the Sam Adams glasses, stouts in the pints, and higher gravity speciality beers in the sniffter glass. Hoppy beers I prefer the pint glass as well.

I like the Stella chalice...the shape at the top of the glass does a nice job holding the head. And I get to use the word "chalice":D I don't drink Stella though...and I have not found a way to get the logo off the glass.

I really like the "Geordie Schooner" from Newcastle...

Cheers!

CIMG2916 (269x480).jpg

images.jpg

Any glass that's clear, isn't too heavy, and fits the entirety of a 12 oz. bottle to a little below the wide brim for head display.

I would prefer the glass have some design to it, but more in terms of unique shape vs. a gaudy imprint of a brewery logo... especially one that I don't particularly admire.

The thickness of the glass is also a biggy for me. I don't want to be sipping from a 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick brim. A laser-etched bottom to display the active carb bubbles wouldn't hurt either, but it isn't mandatory.

Personally, I have two engraved mugs which were gifts for being in bridal parties. I typically use those but now I'm collecting stout glasses from breweries (just hit up DFH last week as my first visit). I'll be getting Thirsty Dog and Great Lakes stuff soon since they're so close to my place.

I did undergrad as a chemistry major so I greatly appreciate glassware suited to different purposes. :D I'd like to get into glassblowing and try to make some of my own stuff.

I rotate between a 16 ounce stemmed water glass form Libby, a ~14oz Sam Adams glass, and a traditional dimpled english beer mug. That just about covers everything I think.

Definitely skulls of vanquished foes. Next in line I really enjoy Belgian goblets like the Chimay and Orval ones, but partially because I drink a lot of Belgian beers. I also like tulip glasses, but sometimes just the regular, straight sided and sturdy pint glass is best.

I'm a big fan of British Ales, so a good old fashioned nonick pint does me fine just about every time. I do have a tulip or two for my occasional belgian, and I do drink my weizens in a glass I brought back from Germany for the purpose. But those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I use half liter mugs, but when I'm really thirsty I use liter mugs. Most of the glassware was brought back from Germany and the Czech republic..

Dimple mug. Nice handle, thick glass, and puts your nose in there close to the beer to get the aroma.

My uncle, a rigid teetotaler, has drunk a glass of milk out of one of these at dinner every night for at least the last thirty years. I used to think it was so awesome when I was a kid. Now I just sigh--what a waste of a perfectly good beer glass...

i like the belgian style glasses because i drink mostly belgian though i use what I have ......all tapered pints glasses.

i second the feelings of many....what ever glass that is full of beer...pilfered even better!;)

GD:mug:

British pint glass & snifter but I drink mostly british and Belgian styles

I have 24 oz big handled mugs, 18 oz shapely pilsner glass, and lots of 14 oz dollar store beer glasses.

Depends on my mood.

Large tapered flute glasses like the Innus and Gunn
Duvel Tulip
Snifters

Anything that looks sexy while i drink my homemade nectar!
I have around 50 Standard pint glasses from tasting, festivals, handouts.
Lets just say its not my first choice.

Nine times out of ten I'm using one of my tulip glasses. Occasionally I'll use a British pub glass and very rarely, when drinking German beers, I'll use my German stein or a pilsner glass.

I like the Stella chalice...the shape at the top of the glass does a nice job holding the head. And I get to use the word "chalice":D I don't drink Stella though...and I have not found a way to get the logo off the glass.

Try the dishwasher. It stripped the Guinness logo off my stout glass (before I heard the dishwasher was bad of course)

I prefer a small fishbowl I got at dollar store :D

I think what I'd want to get eventually to enjoy all my beers in is one Sam Adams glass and one Chimay. Both are laser etched in the bottom so they continually release aromas, I'd want the Sam for just generic Lagers and Ales but the Chimay for belgians and strong ales like barleywines and things of that nature.

I like the Sam Adams glass, or a tulip, though I use my fair share of your run of the mill pint glasses. As long as it has beer in it, I probably won't complain. I do find myself looking at different glasses and the beers within them and criticizing, just a little bit

I would have to say 90% of my beer glasses are from antique, consignment or Goodwill type stores. All different shapes, sizes, and all different logos (no contemporary pints though). The only new ones I have are from New Glarus and Fat Tire.

Snifter/SS tulip pub. And a generic coke style-shape glass. I like using the snifter for anything hoppy I havent tried yet,otherwise if I had it already I may get out the ol standby pint glass mainly. I mainly will drink out of the suggested drinkware per style,but like to change it up alot the time. The pint is a nice goto glass if I cant decide and just want to taste a good tasting beer.

I have what I would call a classic beer mug that holds about 10 oz that I love. I also use a Mason jar stolen from a Bloomington bar quite a bit.

Back