My first 10 gallon BIAB stove top brew in a 50 qt kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
Pretty much hit my target SG with a 60 minute mash of 152 which dropped to 149 and after this will boil down a bit from the current 12 gallon mark. This is a Bier De Garde with a SG of 1.063. Happy that I can get such a large batch indoors. I will do the no chill over night in he kettle and cool further in the morning then siphon to two carboys. I lose about .8 gallons an hour so I'll be boiling for about 115 minutes or so. Sweet!

image-3439289503.jpg

Nice! I can barely manage a 5 gallon stove top BIAB because my burners are so weak. I have to split into two pots to get them to boil.
(thats why I ordered a kettleand burner)

If you are going to do a stove top no chill, be aware that as the wort cools , it will condense, sucking in a small quantity of air. Around 4% of the wort volume.
Thus there is a small risk of infection.
I wonder if making a drape of aluminum foil would help, so the air thats sucked in is from under the drape, and wont have dust grains.

Well it certainly wasn't a vigorous boil but I don't much care about that since I reached a good hot break. I checked it this morning about 8 hours later and the pot is still too hot to hold my hand on. It was too late to try to use a wort chiller in the early am when I finished the boil. I will use a wort chiller now though and then rack to the fermenters. I have it a really good whirlpool so I'll see how that helped to bring the trub to the center. No finings were used on this one since with my last all pilsner base brew there was way too much protein floc.

An update since I remembered this thread from another linky.

The batch is still fermenting slowly. I lost alot to trub and ended up with just over 8 gallons in two fermenters. Og 1.062 and Fg (at this point) is 1.012 with s-04. Really happy about this experience!

Almost 2 gallons of Trub for a 10 gallon batch.
Is 1 gallon of Trub/5 gallon batch a normal loss rate?
Others have cited that. I haven't measured, but I don't think my batches are that bad.
Next time I will measure.

I was surprised by this. 12 gallons at a 90 minute boil. Boil ended with a little over 10. Cooled over night and wound up with 5 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy and just under 4 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy. The yeast flocculating is going to take a bit more but I can't see where the rest went . . . Trub was definitely a gallon plus when I siphoned the batch. I should have measured exactly though. I had 15 lbs. of pilsner. I mean I siphoned really well. The larger carboy had like half a finger of sediment while the smaller carboy had about two fingers worth. I've never had that clear of a post boil wort before.

When I BIAB I don't have that much sediment.
DJ, maybe your bag isn't fine enough?
In the past I have used a cotton laundry bag.
I just got a nice Voile bag. I hope I don't get that kind of sediment!

Used a Wilserbrewer voile bag for the past couple mashes. Shouldn't be getting much though but when I SCOOB (like that one) I can see the protein sludge oozing out. Could be the amount of pilsner in the mash, no?

There's no doubt I'm burning alot of natural gas for my brew day but man is it cheap right now, so cheap gas companies are looking for more subsidies from Uncle Sam!

I certainly will try the ten gallon brew again but may try to change something like a shorter boil or more grain, I don't know.

I wanna say about 45- an hour after it started at 160 F.

It could be the pot. I have a 32 quart single ply bottom ss kettle that actually took longer with less volume to boil!

This pot has a try ply bottom and I was surprised it got to boil so fast. It is in contact with two burners a bit more than the 32 quart pot at 17.5 inches diameter rather than 14.5.

Latest posts

Back