Clone,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed up some Norfolk Nog earlier this year. I found it a little thin and treacly. However, it was my first homebrew attempt.

I still have a couple of bottles of it left. It does improve with aging!

Theres a nice english pub in Dallas, near one of the universitys. Drank many bitters there and played a lot of darts on a business trip. Also a bar downtown that has like 100 beers on tap - sorry no names.

well, we have the Ginger Man Pub www.gingermanpub.com (Houston, Dallas, Austin, NYC) and it's a cool old house/pub atmosphere, and they have 70-74 taps, but not brewed on site like a cool old pub in England. plus it's in the middle of the Rice Village by Rice University. the Eddie Bauer across the street kinda reminds you your in Texas! ;~)
also across the street is Two Row's Brewpub that has good food and brews (www.tworows.com)

Also in the Dallas area, The Flying Saucer. No homebrews, but dozens of taps and oddity imports. For brewed-on-premises, try Two Rows or Humperdinks (Dallas location only). Pretty good-tasting brew. In fact, a lovely bartender at Two Rows was the one who finally convinced me to home brew. Of course, she probably could've convinced me to gargle with arsenic, but that's another story.

yea, there's a Saucer in downtown Houston too, but i don't think it has the atmosphere that The Ginger Man does (in Houston any way).

yep, "those" bartenders will do it to you every time!

We have a Saucer here in Raleigh, too. I went there long enough to get a plate on the wall and ogle the barmaids, and that seemed to be long enough for their lines to get fouled beyond help (or at least that's what it tastes like). BTW, if you try to drink 200 different beers in one bar, you will have some bad ones.

Thor said:
Also in the Dallas area, The Flying Saucer. No homebrews, but dozens of taps and oddity imports. For brewed-on-premises, try Two Rows or Humperdinks (Dallas location only). Pretty good-tasting brew. In fact, a lovely bartender at Two Rows was the one who finally convinced me to home brew. Of course, she probably could've convinced me to gargle with arsenic, but that's another story.

Thor, you need to make it over to Fort Worth and hit the Bull and Bush. It's on Montgomery street over by the museum. It's a neat little pub.

there's another one in Houston that I forgot (haven't been there myself). McGonigels' Mucky Duck www.mcgonigels.com. supposed to be a Irish style pub w/ good taps and bottled beer. Irish pub food and live smoke-free music at night. mainly Texas artists (Ian Moore, Monte Montogmery, Bruce Robinson, Asylum Street Spankers, etc.). when i get to town, i just hate not going to the Ginger Man and Two Row's.

I used to live in Dallas too (Monfort & Preston Oaks). had me one of those damn cards too!

Speaking of Dallas and Irish pubs, did you ever go to the Tipperary Inn on Lower Greenville? I used to love that place! I don't know how authentic it was, but there always seemed to be plenty of Irish and people sleeping it off in the parking lot. They also had those long picnic-like tables that I typically associate with German bars (in my mind) where everybody could sit and sing Irish drinking songs with the band.

never heard of that one? bummer i missed it!
that's kind of like the ginger man. they have those big picnic tables in front, so you can watch all the shopping rich ladies, and a beer garden in back w/ long picnic tables and a stage. they have um-pha music for Octoberfest. the inside is like a old English pub though. kinda cool.

Back