First Timer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDevilHimself

Reaction score
Hey guys I've started to research into making my own beer. I'm a chemical engineering student so I figured this would be a decent project in my spare time. So far what I've decided on is using 60L Crystal Malt, Spalt Hops, and White Labs Irish Ale Yeast as the base. I was wondering is there anyway to make beers micro-scale? I would love to be able to tinker at lower cost and then move up to macro.

You can make beers at all volumes. Many on this forum make 1 or two gallon batches frequently. You just need to adjust your ingredients of course.

you might consider downloading the free 30 day trial of www.beersmith.com

this will help you adjust your ingredients to whatever volume you want

You need to use a base malt like 2row or 6row or wheat or Munich or Vienna.
Crystal malt are known as "specialty" grain that are used to provide flavor and aroma or color, not fermentable sugars.
I however suggest you to use liquid(LME) or dry malt extract(DME) instead of grains, for your first attempt.
You can also make like 2gals of beer to start.

You will need some equipment, so if possible, go to a local home brew store and get someone there to help you and explain the basic process. The same store will mostly have a recipe for a extract based stout or anything you want.

I researched online, read thousands of posts, even watched many u-tube videos. What I got from the group at my local store (took a beer 101 class) was so much help.

Do not discount what a seasoned brewer can do for you.

Back