noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
just picked my first crop of cascade hops...........per this site I thought i should have done it several weeks ago but time got away from me......i do not have a fan to dry the hops what are my other options.........they seam dry on the edges but they are still somewhat green

what would happen if i placed them in a baggie and placed them in the freezer? will that dry them out?

finally, if they are somewhat dry and i dry hopped with them what will happen....also what will happen if i add them to a boil.....will it make my beer taste like grass?

sorry for all the questions and thanks for the input and answers

Most people without a dehydrator or other means of drying use paper grocery bags. You need to keep them in a dry dark place, so a paper bag is perfect. Put about 5-6 (wet) ounces in each bag and shake them every time you go by them. After 3-4 days, they should be perfectly dry.

Don't put them in the freezer before they're dry...it won't be good for the hops.

If you use them in a beer when they are somewhat dry, it will turn out fine. It's called Wet Hopping. I usually do a wet hop beer every year once I pick my hops, before they dry. It won't taste grassy, but it will be a bit different from dry hops. More earthy, natural flavor.

That is what i needed to know.......I don't think i have more then 3-4 oz so one bag should work fine

Back