hop rhizomes planted 2 weeks ago. nothing shooting up yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
I Planted 3 rhizomes. A cascade, Columbus, and Willamette. They all had some fresh looking buds on it. I planted 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm careful not to over water... I haven't had anything coming up yet. Before I start to lightly dig them and see what's going on, I just wanted to know how long first year rhizomes take to get going. I live in south eastern Pennsylvania. We've had 90 degree days already, and mostly 60 and 70 degrees every day since. No frost at all. Any thoughts?

I wouldnt go digging.

#1. if they arent growing, it wont help that
#2. if they are growing, you will likely break off the shoots that are about to emerge

Keep on keepin on, give it a couple more weeks. Water daily to keep the ground moist, patience my friend. 1st year plants are only for looks really, they are pretty anemic typically...

+1 wait. Your rhizome is just a cutting from a mature plant, it's going to take some time for it to make roots and shoots.

I Planted 3 rhizomes. A cascade, Columbus, and Willamette. They all had some fresh looking buds on it. I planted 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm careful not to over water... I haven't had anything coming up yet. Before I start to lightly dig them and see what's going on, I just wanted to know how long first year rhizomes take to get going. I live in south eastern Pennsylvania. We've had 90 degree days already, and mostly 60 and 70 degrees every day since. No frost at all. Any thoughts?

How deep were they planted?

RDWHAHB is the first step, also make sure you aren't watering too much. I can't imagine anyone in the states needing to water a lot at this time of year.

+1 to waiting. I have 7/8 rhizomes coming up right now and the one I lost is the one I dug around to see what it was doing, pretty sure I broke off a couple shoots while lookin and wish I hadn't. Keep them moist, and be patient, their mostly
focusing on root development now anyways.

I planted my first year Cascade about 3 weeks ago. Nothing was happening for 2 weeks so I dug one up just to see what was going on. It had a few shoots starting so I reburied it and in the next few days I had several shoots sprouting. Nothing yet on my other 2 plants but I'm not going to risk digging those up. Worst case scenario is that they don't grow, and there's nothing I can do about that now anyway.

I'm in Southeastern, PA and, after 2+ weeks my first shoots sprung forth yesterday. The 2 cascades were visible, but the Goldings were not. However, at lunch today, one of the Goldings has broken through!

Patience is a good thing.

Hello all! New to the forum. I decide to try to grow my own hops this year. I live on Long Island and planted Hallertau(sp?) hops (2 rhizomes). They have been in the ground for about three weeks and both have small shoots. One thing I question is how I planted them. The soil is good. Mostly compost from leaves and plants. I did not plant them in a mound though. I dug a 4" deep trench and planted them there loosely covering them with soil. Does anyone think this is a problem? I think I can still redo the planting at this point. Anyway, This is the best forum yet. :rockin: I already built my own stir plate and am brewing a chocolate stout this weekend....can't wait:)

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread or it should be a new one...I'm a noob:)

Hello all! New to the forum. I decide to try to grow my own hops this year. I live on Long Island and planted Hallertau(sp?) hops (2 rhizomes). They have been in the ground for about three weeks and both have small shoots. One thing I question is how I planted them. The soil is good. Mostly compost from leaves and plants. I did not plant them in a mound though. I dug a 4" deep trench and planted them there loosely covering them with soil. Does anyone think this is a problem? I think I can still redo the planting at this point. Anyway, This is the best forum yet. :rockin: I already built my own stir plate and am brewing a chocolate stout this weekend....can't wait:)

It's worse replanting them at this point than not having planted them the best way possible. Hallertau are not as strong as some American varieties. They may take a bit longer to establish themselves. Relax, give them some TLC and they should be fine.

I planted a cascade and nugget about 2 weeks ago. The nugget already has a bunch of shoots 1 inch high, while the cascade appears to have 1 shoot just barely breaking the surface. For a couple days I was worried about the cascade since I was comparing it to the nugget, but I think they'll both be ok and just need some more time.

They're in a pot and bucket atm, hoping to get them in the actual soil before they get too crazy with growth.

Thanks for the replies! I noticed a second shoot on one of the plants today:)! I will be patient and not worry:).

Also in Southeast PA, 3 out of 4 sprouts popped up yesterday just after 2 weeks. As long as you didn't plant too deep, they should be up soon.

granted mine are in a city greenhouse my Cascade is now 2 feet tall and the Columbus has yet to break the soil. I'll give it another 2 weeks then I'm requesting another Rhizome.

Mine were in the ground for over three weeks and nothing. I did have one sprout, my Columbus, but I didn't know it cause I am an idiot and I don't know what a hop plant looks like. So, I ordered replacement Rhizomes. I planted the new Rhizomes today and low and behold the original Rhizomes were sprouting, they just haven't made it out of the ground yet. So be patient, if it doesn't work this year, wait till next year. (I sound like a Cubs fan) Don't worry you will be fine.

I have 8 first year hops. Zeus is like Columbus. All of my hops have broke ground except my Zeus, which I can see if I break the mulch covering the it. You can request another if you like, but I think you need to compare same hop to same hop, not "hops" to "hops". My Zeus appears to be growing as slow as your Columbus. I'm not worried. I'm not asking for a new plant.

Last year my Chinook was my weakest plant. It was the last to break ground, last to climb, last to produce a yield. This year it's about 7' tall, my tallest fastest grower. I'm thinking the hop put a lot of energy into developing the rhizome, and I'm HAPPY the first year was so weak. This year I'll have a ton of Chinook. PATIENCE.

I am glad I am not the only one that stares at the dirt hoping to see a sprout. I planted 6 rhizomes in pots this year, about 2 weeks ago now. Two cascade, two Willamette, and two nugget. The nugget plants have 3-4 sprouts each. Nothing on the rest. I am also practicing the patience game. :eek:

I forgot I posted this before going to work... the day I wrote this, I came home from work, I had 2 starting, the cascade, and Willamette. The Columbus started last week. +1 to whoever said patience is almost more important than experience.

Marvim said:
I'm new about that...There aren't a way to know if hop Rhizoma is exactly dead? What is RDWHAHB?

Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.

Columbus and Zeus are the same variety.

Latest posts

Back