Most accurate brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blindguardian

Reaction score
What Software do you find over all to be most accurate and why?

choices:

1.) Beersmith
2.) Beertools Pro
3.) BeerAlchemy
4.) other

Accurate how? I don't think any of them are inaccurate. I use Beersmith FWIW. I tried ProMash, but liked Beersmith better.

They are all accurate, just different degrees of ease of use and tools available. I've never seen somebody posting to complain that their FG was off due to software or the IBUs are way to high because it got calculated wrong.

Try them all out and whichever you like best will be plenty accurate:rockin:

Thanks for the replies. I have beersmith I was just wondering about the others. I guess I will have to get them all and brew a recipe and set them up in all the software and see what one gets the closest to all the numbers.

I guess I will have to get them all and brew a recipe and set them up in all the software and see what one gets the closest to all the numbers.
Which has nothing to do with the "accuracy" of the software, and everythng to do with how you happened to perform against all of the variables in a given batch.

Seriously, if your process and methods are stable enough (and you have enough control over the quality of your ingredients) that you can use them to choose a more "accurate" software, then you should be teaching the rest of us.

Quality beer making has more to do with skill, than accuracy of the program. The program numbers just give you guidance.

Tell that to the brew computers at Anheuser Busch that make beer consistent beer from year to year!

So then, there is no reason for them to hire the panel of tasters who verify that each batch is properly blended for consistency?

Even a billion dollar computer can't replace the palate but, it will get you in the field.

I will have to say that in theory they all work the same but Beer Tools has way different IBU and gravity out puts then beer smith. I have done the exact same recipe that Was done on Beer smith and my IBUs are way different.

I have the alapha acids set the exact same on both programs and they do differ.

I will have to say that in theory they all work the same but Beer Tools has way different IBU and gravity out puts then beer smith. I have done the exact same recipe that Was done on Beer smith and my IBUs are way different.

With respect to IBU's, Basic Brewing did a cast where they calculate using each method, and compared to actual test results. They were all off.

Anything you use will at best be an estimate. From there you use your palate to fine tune.

I prefer ProMash, not for accuracy, but ease of use.

I did try Beer Tools Pro, and couldnt get it to properly calculate my sparge volume for the life of me, so I quit.

I tried Beersmith, and it didnt seem to link all of the calculators together, when I made a change to one parameter in the recipe, it didnt seem to update all of the calculators automatically for me.

IRMV

They all do the job, depends on if you are left or right brained.

I think it was just a matter of which utilization algorithm is the default setting. I know that you can choose from like 5 different ones in BTP but I always use Rager since Jamil recommended it and I'm too lazy to figure out why.

I tried Beersmith, and it didnt seem to link all of the calculators together, when I made a change to one parameter in the recipe, it didnt seem to update all of the calculators automatically for me.

Yeah. I miss that about ProMash. That, and the fact that BeerSmith forces you to close the current window to open another section, or tool. I'd also be nice if you could specifiy a default file save location rather than everything going into a single *.bsm file. I know you can do a a save as but, sine the application isn't very open in that respect.......

My copy of ProMash became all buggy at a time when support was at it's lowest. I know JD is back on the support boards but, wish he was in a better place to pump out an update worthy of another switch.

Has anybody EVER used the timer feature in ProMash?

Until then, the other features of BeerSmith win my commitment.

Never used the timer feature... but I got ProMash for the linking of all the applications and the inventory feature. Even if I have to CREATE an ingredient, it is pretty easy and managing inventory (20 hops and 20 malts) couldnt be easier.

Never used the timer feature... but I got ProMash for the linking of all the applications and the inventory feature. Even if I have to CREATE an ingredient, it is pretty easy and managing inventory (20 hops and 20 malts) couldnt be easier.

Yeah. I never understood the issue with the DB being "out of date". Most all malsters have at least a sufficient "typical analysis" to give everything the software needs to create a malt profile.

My copy had issues with entry fields. Never could get a solution. Tried uninstalling, blah, blah, and kept having the same isue. So, I switched.

There was lots of promise in the concept of the new release. I understand why it is not here but, it's too bad. The core of the ProMash system is, IMO, the most solid and the interface isn't that hard to look at.

Back