First Hopbursting Recipie Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rundorig76

Reaction score
Next week I plan to try my first "hopbursted" IPA next week and I can't wait. I would welcome advice on hop schdeule and general recipie advice. I am going for that tropical citrusy hop aroma/flavor bomb without enough IBUs to make my family cry. I still have some experimental "lemon drop" hops I haven't tried so I am going to use those too.

Hopicide

5 gallons
Est. OG 1.075 Est FG 1.019 EST Alcohol 7.5%
SRM 8 IBU 57

6 lbs northsrbrewer Marris Otter LME
3 lbs briess Golden Light DME
1 lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt

1 oz U.S. Sorach Ace 10 min boil
1 oz Citra (Whole)10 min boil
1 oz Lemon Drop 5 min boil
1 oz Sorachi Ace 5 min boil

Hopstand for 10 Mins?
1 oz Lemon drop
1 oz Citra (whole)

Dryhop in Secondary
1 oz Lemon drop 3 days then 1 oz whole Hallertau for 3 more days

Wlp 001 California Ale in a starter batch

A pound of honey malt is a LOT. If you love sweet IPAs, of course that's fine but if you've never used honey malt before I wanted to warn you. I don't have a sweet tooth, so I find more than about .25 pound cloying. I also like my IPAs to finish dry so I'd sub some corn sugar for the DME, about a pound.

For the hopping, I love hopbursted beers. I've never used sorachi ace or lemon drop, though, so I can't help you there.

Ok thanks yooper. I have used it once but not in that quantity. Most of the info I found online said up to 10% would be okay but I will take your advice and back off some. I wanted to get away from caramel malt for this recipie and I wanted to try to balance the hop bitterness ( for my family who acts like they are allergic to alpha acids) with a little more sweetness from the malt. Does half a pound still seem like too much? How long do you normally do your hop stands for? I am going for a lighter bitterness but still have the hop flavor/aroma explosion!
Thanks!

Ok thanks yooper. Most of the info I found online said up to 10% would be okay but I will take your advice and back off some. I wanted to get away from caramel malt for this recipie and I wanted to try to balance the hop bitterness ( for my family who acts like they are allergic to alpha acids) with a little more sweetness from the malt. Does half a pound still seem like too much? How long do you normally do your hop stands for? I am going for a lighter bitterness but still have the hop flavor/aroma explosion!
Thanks!

A half of a pound might be perfect for you. I don't like many sweet IPAs, so I tend to make quite a few without honey malt or crystal malt. But if you want sweetness, the honey malt will do well.

I make 10 gallon batches, and I will add my hops and chill a bit while recirculating. It takes maybe 20 minutes to chill to where I'll start drawing off through the CFC, at 140 or so, and the hops still stay in there. It's probably about 30 minutes total that I hold my hops in my hops stand. I chill to under 180 pretty quickly, and then go slower. I also dryhop.

Ok thanks again. I think ill try a little under a half pound and see what I get , it will be drank no matter what!

Yeah, I just did a honey-basil double pale and used a pound of honey malt, which was 9.7%. A lot of people say they love my beer, but I think it's way too sweet. I'll make it again, but cut it to 1/2 pound.

Your hop bursting schedule looks good

Latest posts

Back