First Homebrew is a Success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warden34

Reaction score
First post: been lurking until now. Cracked open my first bottle tonight, it's a hoppy wheat from extract, added Amarillo hops at 12,6, 3 and FO. Fermented for 28 days, been in the bottle for 10. It's a few days early but it carbed up nicely and is surprisingly clear for a wheat. Great flavor, but perhaps needs to mellow a bit longer, lots of hop flavor right now. Almost a Wheat IPA at the moment. Couldnt wait any longer, but looking forward to my next brew already. Cheers!

Warden

ForumRunner_20130213_212300.jpg

First post: been lurking until now. Cracked open my first bottle tonight, it's a hoppy wheat from extract, added Amarillo hops at 12,6, 3 and FO. Fermented for 28 days, been in the bottle for 10. It's a few days early but it carbed up nicely and is surprisingly clear for a wheat. Great flavor, but perhaps needs to mellow a bit longer, lots of hop flavor right now. Almost a Wheat IPA at the moment. Couldnt wait any longer, but looking forward to my next brew already. Cheers!

Warden

View attachment 101038

Looks really tasty! I've also found that Amarillo takes a while to round out on the flavor.

That's an interesting hop schedule too if I'm reading it correctly... Is that an addition at 12 minutes, 6 minutes, and 3 minutes? If so then that is pretty much all aroma and very little to no bittering.

Awesome!!! Congrats! I'm bottling my stout on Sat. so excited to see how it turns out--a few more weeks yet...:(

PhelanKA7 said:
Looks really tasty! I've also found that Amarillo takes a while to round out on the flavor.

That's an interesting hop schedule too if I'm reading it correctly... Is that an addition at 12 minutes, 6 minutes, and 3 minutes? If so then that is pretty much all aroma and very little to no bittering.

I read it as him adding Amarillo hops as his late additions at those times. Could be wrong.

Regardless congrats on what looks and sounds like an awesome brew!

That would be correct, added Amarillo mostly for the aroma and flavor. Kit already included another variety of hops that were in for the full 60 min boil, so the bitter it has would have mostly come from that.

Back