Double IPA question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundernuts88

Reaction score
Hey all. Just started to make my own beer. I am on my second batch and it's the double IPA from Brewers Best. Is there anything I can add to the recipe to play with the flavoring? Thanks so much!!

More hops. Not necessarily more varieties, try to stay along the same lines as the hops already provided. Load them up late in the boil and dry hop.

I suggest you hone your brewing skills by sticking to recipes as written. There's plenty of time to mess up a good beer recipe by trying to tweak it yourself.

Until you've brewed a recipe several times and know what the beer is supposed to taste like, you will never really know the impact of putzing around with the recipe. :mug:

+1. If you make changes and wind up with a bad tasting beer it will be hard to know where it went wrong. Of you brew a recipe as written that you know to be a great beer and yours isn't so great that will help you find problems in your brewing technique. If you brew the original and it's great then change it and it sucks, you know it's your recipe not your technique. Small steps grasshopper.

Funny my thought was "What do you have/want to add?" not "Stick to the recipe."

IMO if you want to screw with an IIPA I would think lots and late. Do you have or can you get some citra or centennial? Starting at 10 minutes I would dump in as much as I felt like. Save some and dryhop. Think you have enough hops in your beer? I disagree.

My second recipe was an extract recipe I came up with. It was not horrible but the important thing was that I brewed and learned.

I recently purchased a budget IPA brew kit from AHS (I'm new to brewing) but did some research and looked at some recipes and decided to switch my hops entirely. I kept the bittering hops and went with some hops I purchased separately and it turned out great! I agree with the other posters on keeping it simple ect... but any new brewer wants to make their own concoction to call theirs! :D I just made sure to try to keep my IBU's around the same as the recipe called for (beersmith or any other beer tool can help you with this) and used hops that most of my favorite brews used. Just make sure you do enough research to learn when to add the variety (aroma/flavoring/bittering) of hops you like and check out some recipes to see what works well together! As Zamiel said...most flavor/aroma hops are added late (15min-end). This was my 3rd batch and maybe I got lucky, but I was confident in my pairings after doing some digging. Good luck!

If I recall correctly the BB DIPA has something like 4 or 5 oz of hops. I tend to use between 10 and 16 oz of hops in a typical DIPA. Get your hands on some more hops if you can and load up on late additions, those make all the difference in the world.

Funny my thought was "What do you have/want to add?" not "Stick to the recipe."

IMO if you want to screw with an IIPA I would think lots and late. Do you have or can you get some citra or centennial? Starting at 10 minutes I would dump in as much as I felt like. Save some and dryhop. Think you have enough hops in your beer? I disagree.

My second recipe was an extract recipe I came up with. It was not horrible but the important thing was that I brewed and learned.

His second time brewing, my money says hone your technique.

How do we know (and how would a second time brewer know) that the recipe doesn't already have "lots and late" additions. Having only brewed one batch, and never brewed an IIPA, how does he know that the recipe as written isn't going to give him exactly what he's looking for.

Suggesting that he make major hop additions to a recipe that:
A-We can't see...
and
B-He (as a second time brewer) can't yet assess because he's not brewed it...

...is very likely to turn a great IIPA in a non drinkable batch (if there is such a thing ;) )

Back