High Mash + Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I'm drinking my Belgian Blonde at the moment, which has a fantastic flavor but a thin head. This beer would be exactly what I'm looking for if I could get a fluffy, rocky head on it. I'm wondering if I mash higher and add a bit more sugar, will I be able to increase the head, while keeping the same level of dryness (FG)? I can't do much outside of a single infusion, so a step isn't really an option at this point...

80% pils
10% wheat
4% sugar
3% aromatic

OG 1.061
FG 1.007

Wyeast 1214

Does mashing higher affect the amount of head/head retention? You could up the sugar to 5-10% easily and it would be just as dry or even more so. I would toss in 8 oz - 1 lb. of flaked barley and carbonate to like 4 volumes. If you bottle at even close to 4 volumes though, make sure to bottle in champagne bottles. I'm no pro, I'm sure others will have good suggestions.

Flaked barley sounds like a plan. Ive used oats in my wit and brown ale but i wouldn't want the mouthfeel in a blonde. Is their any flavor contribution from flaked barley? Could you use it in any style?

I personally haven't noticed a significant flavor contribution when using 8 oz.- 1 lb. I think it would work just fine in a blonde personally. I have used it in pretty clean pale ales and have always been pleased.

Back