Freeing up the carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
Brewed a Bavarian Hefe 9 days ago and it finished up on the 5th day. I am wanting to get another brew in the carboy tomorrow but I'm concerned about my hefe. Like I said it is finished at 1.010 and has been for several day I want to move it into a corny keg to age a few more weeks but the bottom half of the beer still looks muddy. The top half has cleared up well though. The gravity samples taste awesome.. A bit green as you could imagine. Does this clarity difference make any difference in the decision I make. Like I said its going to age in the keg for a min of three more weeks because I don't have room in my keezer for another keg. I will attach a picture if that helps any. I just picked up the grain bill for another beer and am not going to be off work for several weeks.

image-2824691353.jpg

Buy more primaries. I bought two 6-gallon food grade buckets with lids and gaskets off of Craigslist for $4 apiece. Drilled holes in the lids for drilled stoppers and airlocks.

I figured it would clear up a little bit while aging in the keg.... I guess as much as any wheat beer would clear up.

It would be too soon to bottle, but if you are just going to a keg, nothing too bad should happen.

The remaining yeasties may be a little underpitched to finish out the last quarter point or so of FG effectively, but it shouldn't effect the final outcome much at all.

brewski08 said:
yes, you can move it to the corny keg. i wouldn't really worry about clarity in a hefe.

I'm not concerned with the clarity of my Hefe, but it should not look muddy like fermenting wort.

You can always drop the temp. for a day or two before kegging, so more of the yeast will settle out.

I'm not concerned with the clarity of my Hefe, but it should not look muddy like fermenting wort.

It would probably clear in the keg, especially once you get it cold.

No harm in letting it sit for a couple of days if you're really concerned.

Latest posts

Back