What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pineyguy

Reaction score
This is my tenth brew. I've never had any sanitation issues, and can't think of anything red that could've gotten in the wort or yeast starter anywhere in the process. Yet when I went to check on the progress earlier today, I saw a red splotch that almost looked like blood. I was on my way somewhere, and was going to sanitize something and scoop it out when I got home. By that time the krausean had about doubled and the red stuff was gone. Any ideas? The brew was 12.5# 2 row, .5# pounds each: aromatic, biscuit, flaked barley, .5oz coriander, 1oz falconer's flight, .75 ounce Zythos, Wyeast trappist high gravity yeast.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It was a little thicker than the picture shows. It kind of looked like a drop of ketchup.

Weird but i wouldnt worry about it.Looks like your at full krausen,I would almost skim it off,but nope i wouldnt even touch it.Maybe a piece of lint got in your boil or something.Forget about it. It is settleing out anyway

I'm thinking a label ink or something. Maybe a piece of the yeast bag?

I know it isn't blood, the only injury this brew day was burns to fingers when I was picking up a pot with sparge water. I tried to think of everything that could've possibly gotten in there, no one was wearing red, the yeast pack wasn't red. Really weird...

I know it isn't blood, the only injury this brew day was burns to fingers when I was picking up a pot with sparge water. I tried to think of everything that could've possibly gotten in there, no one was wearing red, the yeast pack wasn't red. Really weird...

It's possible that what fell in there wasn't red, but bled out red.

One weird thing i thought of is. I noticed if you sanitized the yeast pack, i cant remember which ones but they sometimes bleed color. I remember this with a pack of dry yeast once.

Whatever it was, is probably gone now.

My ceiling this morning:

I forgot to list 2# sucrose in the ingredients. It was chugging along nicely yesterday all day, and I was checking it fairly often to make sure it didn't look like it was going to blow off. Apparently this yeast was nocturnal. Next time I'll just start off with a tube and be done.

Back