question about kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptpeter

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum but i've been brewing my own beer for the last year or so. The last few batches i've done i've bottled but this time (and since im in college) im thinking about kegging it. Here's the question I have, i've been reading alot that people use those small corny kegs you get soda in but since im in college we will get miller kegs all the time, now is it possible to use a normal keg that you get miller beers in or do you need to use one of those corny soda kegs? It would be much easier for me to get a old miller lite keg than one of those soda ones. Thanks.

How do you plan to wash it , sanatize it, and then fill it?

If you have a way, then go for it.

We use the corny kegs because the lid is removeable and we can clean them, sanatize them and fill them easily.

yeah i guess your right, i wasnt sure exactly and thats why im asking. I would have figured there's a way because the brewing companies do it. Well i guess that answered my question. thanks alot!

One last question, whats the cheapest way/kit to pressurize and tap it?

Thanks again.

you can use the miller keg is it 15 gl or 5gl? i find this kind easy to kleen vrs corny. carbinating is easy fill the keg fridge it overnite then ad 30psi co2 shakeeeeee then wait 2 days or less

wait, if there is a way to re-use the miller lite kegs could you please tell me how? or send me a link?

ptpeter said:
yeah i guess your right, i wasnt sure exactly and thats why im asking. I would have figured there's a way because the brewing companies do it. Well i guess that answered my question. thanks alot!

One last question, whats the cheapest way/kit to pressurize and tap it?

Thanks again.

http://www.brewersdiscount.com/productCat15956.ctlg

http://www.pointbrewsupply.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_49&products_id=329

http://www.northernbrewer.com/kegs-disconnects.html

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...c&utm_term=regulators&utm_campaign=beer+parts

ptpeter said:
wait, if there is a way to re-use the miller lite kegs could you please tell me how? or send me a link?

Here's a start for you Sanke. As for filling them, you'll need a tap, hoses, CO2, and 15 gallons of homebrew.

Good luck,
Wild

Just a heads up--stealing kegs is illegal. A deposit from the local liqor store isn't considered a purchase. Whether or not that bothers you is your choice. :eek:

Over here, the value of a scrap keg is £7. It is illegal to own them. Keg watch pay a reward for kegs they recover and regularly prosecute!

The only way I have been able to get any is to buy kegs that are untracable from Kegwatch. I believe I have 8 of the only legal kegs in the UK that do not belong to the breweries,

The breweries will not sell them because they don't want to allow any legal ones on the market. That way they know they own ALL of the kegs.

Here, they aren't regulated that strictly, it is more of an honesty system.

However, it is still stealing. I don't mind so much if someone borrows ( :p ) a big brewery keg for thier brewing pleasure, but if it is a smaller brewery they lose mucho money on those. The deposit is only 10 dollars and the breweries supposedly pay up to 90 dollars for the kegs. Big difference!!! That could really hurt a local brewery......

I've written a short primer on kegging. You can read it here.

It is possible to keg with the large Sanke kegs, but it's harder and you have to make more beer to fill them up. Personally, I wouldn't take on that task. The corny kegs are much easier to deal with.

The reality is, there just aren't too many shortcuts to kegging.

Prosit!

IMHO if you can afford and find a good resouce, go with the Corny's. Find on E-bay or local shop, rebuild your own, etc. 5G size is perfect and you can use these things for secondary, for bottling "buckets", etc. They are SS, clean up well, and will last longer than you!

It is possible, as they are moving away from the Corney kegs and toward the syrup bag systems.

However, you are going to have to spend the time and money disassembling them, cleaning the parts and replacing the seals. Many have suggested that the $30 or so you'll spend on a used reconditioned keg is well worth the time and money you'll save not having to get it ready for prime time.

I have a local Pepsi distributor right near by...I've called them 1,000 times! I get transferred to somebody and then leave a message only to be blown off every time. I'm thinking of just jumping the fence one night and hi-jacking a trailer! :D To answer your question, I'm not sure too many distributor's are willing to sell to the typical "Joe". Google or jump on e-bay...you can find some sweet deals.

Back