Bottle Carbonation at Sub-room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffStewart

Reaction score
For all my beers I've been carbonating at room temperature but on my last batch I used Wyeast 1007 and fermented around 55F-60F and I am considering carbonating in the bottle at that temperature as well to achieve a cleaner profile. Has anyone else done this? Thoughts or concerns?

Thanks in advance.

It will carb up in the normal time I bet as that yeast is pretty cold loving. I bet you can start drinking well, well before 4 weeks. If I were you I would would crack one at 7-9 days and be full out drinking at 14 easy.

bottle carbonating, especially at lower temperatures, takes more than 2 weeks. there will be CO2 present at two weeks, yes. but at 14 days you will be drinking a partially carbonated beer mixed with priming sugar.

you may like to drink beer that isnt finished yet, but do not suggest to others that this is the correct or common thing to do.

i would chill and test a bottle or two after 4 weeks and see how you like it. not sooner.

Back