Saflager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ev0151

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing just bottled my second batch.

For my 3rd attempt i'd like to experiment with a different yeast. Say i was to get a Coopers Lager kit and discard the yeast that comes with it and use a Saflager yeast would i get more body in my lager?

Ive noticed the kits kind of taste bland - Does yeast make that much of a deal to the taste of yer lager?

Some Cooper's lager kits use lager yeast, some ale. I've heard that the lager yeast is in fact S-23. I don't think that has anything to do with blandness. The kits are low on hops and, if you use sugar, malt.

So if i wanted a nice continental lager.

Some thing with body like Heiniken or Stella - what would yers sugest?

I'd suggest you go buy some Heineken or Stella. Brewing industrial lagers at home requires tight process control. Assuming you have a temperature-controlled, refrigerated fermentation vessel, bottled oxygen, and the patience for a month or more of lagering time, I'd say WLP838 or Wyeast 2308 is the baby for lagers with body. Pitch enough, or make a smaller batch to start and harvest the slurry for a full-scale batch.

Wondering why you say that? I recently made my first lager with S-23 and I'm very happy with the way the beer turned out.

I made the 2 worst batches of beer I've ever made using that yeast. They were undrinkably, disgustingly fruity even after a year of lagering. So bad that I sent some to John Palmer for his opinion. He said is tastes like Bartles and Jaymes Passion Fruit wine cooler!

I made the 2 worst batches of beer I've ever made using that yeast. They were undrinkably, disgustingly fruity even after a year of lagering. So bad that I sent some to John Palmer for his opinion. He said is tastes like Bartles and Jaymes Passion Fruit wine cooler!

That's odd - mine didn't taste fruity. I used 2 packs of yeast for a 5 gallon batch - rehydrated @ 72ºF for 30 minutes, fed the yeast a little wort and cooled it to about 48ºF slowly over about a 3-4 hour period, then pitched it to the wort which was at 50ºF. I also aerated the wort with O2 with a .5 micron stone for about 45 seconds. Fermented about 50-51ºF for 8 days until SG was 1.020 (OG was 1.052) then did D-rest @ 62-63ºF, then racked to keg and ramped temperature down about 4ºF per day to lagering temp - so far it has lagered at 32-33ºF for 7 weeks - is clear and tastes good.

Back