2010-2011 Fantasy Hockey. Who's in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
OK, gang.

There's a long-running FFB league here on HBT. We've had a great season for fantasy baseball.

How about some Fantasy Hockey?

Come on, you know you want to. I've done a couple of fantasy hockey teams before, but first-timers are more than welcome. I'd hope for this to be an annual thing, keepers and all.

So, PM me an e-mail address if you want in. There are no open slots remaining, although I can open things up later if there's enough interest.

Some details:

• It's a free ESPN league, so no cost to play. Side bets and smack-talk are encouraged, though.
  • The scoring format is head-to-head for points. Team owners are welcome (and, in fact, requested) to review the scoring system and give input on it prior to the draft.
  • Draft is tentatively scheduled for October 2, 2010, 7 PM ET. The draft will be a live snake draft, with draft order randomized just prior to the draft. The date can be adjusted if there's enough interest. If you can't make a live draft, ESPN will happily autopick for you.
The league is now full and closed. See you guys on the ice!

So, who's in?

Here's the list of players who have been invited and have joined. Invites go out on a first-come, first-served basis, based on when you PM me an e-mail address to send the invitation to. Just posting in this thread guarantees nothing.
Code:
EAST Division
#	OWNER		Team
1	jds		5280 Enforcers
2	MMTG		Lipstick City Lotharios
3	robpez		NJ Swamprats
4	eagle61		Frozen Desert Rats
5	Homercidal	Crossroads RC Brewers

WEST Division
#	OWNER		Team
6	jpc		Team Roid Rage
7	Brewmiser       Bavarian BrewCrew	
8	bryanj          Team Jackson
9	MMTG's brother  Fatdome Jackoffasaurus
10	DMCarson        Team Carson

Waiting list: neko

Game on, you goons.

There's been a league here for the past two seasons. However, I haven't seen a notice on it yet for this season.

I played in a league on HBT a couple of years ago, but it fell apart just prior to the NHL season last year. I was kind of bummed, because by then it was too late to really get a league going. I'm trying to avoid that disappointment this year.

I'm always intrigued by this, but I've never done a fantasy league. (Actually I did once, but never figured it out). I'd like to join in, but I'd need some coaching to get started. And it doesn't take too much time does it? School is starting and dance and all the related activities that teens involve their parents in.

It's really pretty simple. We'll spend a couple of hours on a Saturday evening drafting players, then you need about 20 minutes a week to set your lineups.

Of course, preparing for the draft and following all the hockey news can take as much time as you want to let it, but it's really a pretty small commitment. The software's easy to use, and there's plenty of good information on ESPN. You don;t even have to rank players before the draft if you don't want to. ESPN's default rankings are usually pretty good.

Go on, PM me an e-mail address, then go pick up the fantasy copy of The Hockey News. No better time than the present.

Is there any place I can go that has a direct, simple explanation of how it works? It was a couple of years ago that I last even looked at it.

The one aspect that appeals to me, besides the side bets and trash talk, is that it will help me get a feel for some of the other teams that I would normally have nothing to do with during the regular season. Get a peek at some good young players too.

Here are some of the basic rules: http://games.espn.go.com/fhl/content?page=fhlrulesindex2011

There's a lot of information there. Keep in mind that our scoring system is H2H for points:

Head-to-Head: Points: "H2H" Points is very similar to how fantasy football is played. Teams play each other one-on-one on a rotating schedule throughout the season, much like in the NBA. This format allows you to assign a given point value to individual statistical categories (i.e. Assists=3, Rebound=1, etc.) and each scoring period's winner is determined solely by which team accumulates the most fantasy points versus a single opponent. The end result is a win (1-0-0), loss (0-1-0) or tie (0-0-1). If selected, your league will have team schedules/playoffs and you will have the option to setup divisions.

Homer, I don't mean to discourage you but...

I think 20 mins a week is the absolute minimum. If want to do well, 10-20 minutes a day is more accurate. And yes, it can become an HBT-like obsession.

Basically, the software awards points based on player stats. Leagues pick which stats they want they want to use. Most points wins.

jds, I'd only be interested if the league uses a rotisserie format.

No Prob. Personally, I prefer roto leagues as well, but it seems most people like the head-to-head format, so I set up this league that way.

Homer, I don't mean to discourage you but...

I think 20 mins a week is the absolute minimum. If want to do well, 10-20 minutes a day is more accurate. And yes, it can become an HBT-like obsession.

Basically, the software awards points based on player stats. Leagues pick which stats they want they want to use. Most points wins.

Well, we'll just have to see how it goes then. I have no problem with 20 minutes a week, but 20 minutes a day depends on if I'm spending most of my time at my desk or not.

I just don't understand how much work can be involved. Don't you pick your players and then let things happen? How much is there to do on any given day? Do you have to continually switch players or something?

It's not so much the lineup changes themselves, it's the research that goes into the decisions for those changes.

If you're a hockey fan and you haven't done a fantasy league, I highly recommend it.

Homercidal:

You can put into it however much you wish. If you want to spend hours poring over the statistics, prognostications, and outright guess about the upcoming games, you sure can.

For a beginner player, I think the main thing you need to concentrate on is drafting a well-rounded team that can score in all categories, and then make sure you pay enough attention to at least make sure players who you start for a given day are at least playing that day.

To simply review the week's schedules and make player position adjustments based on game schedule takes either 20-30 minutes once a week, or a few minutes each day. After that, the sky's the limit. I spend ten or fifteen minutes a day on it. Some spend more, some spend less. I usually do it at lunchtime or after dinner. Heck, I can use my crackberry to adjust rosters from the bathroom.

I like to play fantasy sports because it keeps me following more than my local teams. You'll become a knowledgable hockey fan pretty quickly by playing a fantasy league.

So if someone gets hurt, can you sub? Like if they go on IR or something?

And don't mention the mobile option! I might have to add that to my phone.

I remember the last time I played I started out well because Legacy was kickin ass for the Wings. Unfortunately the rest of my picks weren't up to that standard.

I'm sure I can find time to tweak my game between work, dinner, and while traveling around in WoW. There is usually a few minutes to kill while playing at least.

I'm betting there is a young hotshot goalie waiting in the wings this year. Just have to wait to see who picks him.

So if someone gets hurt, can you sub? Like if they go on IR or something?

Absolutely. You can add players who weren't drafted, drop players who aren't working out, move injured players in and out of IR so you can fill their roster spots with eligible players, and trade players with other team owners.

You are limited in how many players you can have on your active roster, so you do have to make decisions when you add and drop players. The ESPN fantasy site also has lots of great statistics, detail, and commentary.

Once the draft is complete and you get a week or two under your belt, you'll get the hang of the mechanics of managing your team.

We're up to six teams. Welcome to Homercidal and jpc. Only four slots to go!

I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but I'll be checking my e-mail and league signups.. There's still plenty of time before draft day to fill this boat.

Byranj and Brewmiser: Invites sent!

That makes 8 teams, folks. Two more to a full league.

Hey, you goons.

I changed the scoring settings a bit -- just trying to tweak thing in line to make defensemen more relevant without being ridiculous about it. You can check out how things look right now by selecting the Players tab and looking at all skaters. The way it looks now, the top 2010 defensemen are represented in the top 25 players or so. I think it's reasonable.

Suggestions gladly listened to. Still two slots left!

Just saw this thread and it sounds like fun. Never done any fantasy league, but I follow the NHL and I play hockey so maybe I'll provide some competition. Let's do it.

OK, last two invites sent. neko: You didn't PM me in time, but you're first on the waiting list. There's one owner who's had an invite for over 24 hours and hasn't joined the league let.

Hmm... I've never done a fantasy league before.. and honestly don't even know how they work. But, I am a fan of NHL and I am interested. My only question is how much time does it take up? I have school/homework/skeet club/german club and trying to get a job... but this would be pretty fun to try out.

Is there any room left in the league? I have a diehard hockey fan who'd love to join.

Sorry, man. The league is full with one name on the waiting list.

Then again, if there's enough interest (and neko is still around), we could expand to 12 teams. However, I think it's only fair for the other owners to get a chance to provide input / vote on expanding the league to 12 teams.

Sorry, man. The league is full with one name on the waiting list.

Then again, if there's enough interest (and neko is still around), we could expand to 12 teams. However, I think it's only fair for the other owners to get a chance to provide input / vote on expanding the league to 12 teams.

Thats cool, I understand. I wasn't even sure if I'd have the time between school, skeet club, german club, and brewing. But, if y'all do decide to expand to 12 teams just message me.

OK, You goons. This is your reminder:

The live draft will occur on October 2. That's this Saturday, at 7PM Eastern, 6 Central, 5 Mountain and 4 Pacific. Anybody in Arizona will have to figure it out on your own, because I never can remember when it is there. :)

If you have never participated in an ESPN live draft before, I highly recommend you go through a mock draft sometime between now and then. It lets you get a feel for the software and how the process works, and only takes a few minutes.

I have randomized the divisions using http://www.random.org/sequences/. your division is now based on pure randomness and not on who joined first. Schedules have been reset to make sure you have the right number of divisional vs. non-divisional games.

First-round draft position is randomized by ESPN about an hour before the draft.

Please plan to log in to the draft lobby ten minutes early or more. There may be software to download. If you're late, the draft will start without you, and the software will auto-draft the best available player based upon your preseason rankings.

If you're late, you can join the draft in process with no penalty. If you miss the draft completely, you will still have a good team to get you started.

Questions? Comments?

OK, goons. Expansion approved.

neko is in for sure.
There are two interested parties for slot #12. Both have been notified by PM at the same time. First return PM with a valid e-mail address gets the slot.

Also, there's been a request to run the draft later on Saturday to acommodate BBC's work schedule. I'm leaving it up to you guys. There's a poll up on the league homepage. Plurality wins (e.g. the most votes, not the majority). I'm abstaining. If I don't get four votes at a minimum, the original draft time will stand.

I see the league is closed. But I'm working on putting a league together if anyone is still interested.

Two open spaces in the expansion, and only one invite has been sent. That hasn't been responded to.

I am closing the league for good at 10 PM Mountain time today. Any unfilled slots will be deleted. Again, I need a valid e-mail address to send invitations to, and then you need to accept the invitation and set up your team before 10 PM Mountain time. After 10 PM today = tough luck.

I will close consideration for changing the draft time at 10 PM Mountain time today as well. So far, there's not enough interest to justify a change. You can vote in the poll on the league homepage. All owners will be notified BY E-MAIL tonight with the league-selected time for tomorrow evening's draft.

Latest posts

Back