Hydrometer jar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
Up to this point I have been taking hydrometer readings in my hydrometer jar the tossing the beer down the drain. Hate to waste beer, of course. In theory it seems, if the jar and hydrometer are both sanitized (and the turkey baster, in my case), you could pour the beer back in the batch. Any thoughts?

Well, even sanitized I wouldn't risk it. I mean, I guess you could do it but I don't see the benefit except to have 3 ounces more of finished beer.

But, I would NEVER toss a sample down the sink! Drink it. That's what I do.

I take a total of maybe two to three hydrometer samples over the course of a beer. One to get the OG after brewing (although I mostly use my refractometer now), and one to get the FG. Maybe one more a few days later to ensure it's finished. I drink both of those samples. Why not? I mean, it's beer!

+1 on yooper; I place my hydrometer in the wine theif, grab a sample, get the reading, the drain it off to a nice taster glass, which I put in the fridge for a few hours. Tasting/drinking the sample will give you a good idea of how the flavor profile is developing, and allows you to make adjustments during the seconary phase and at bottling.

When kegging, I take a 1 liter sample, in a 1 liter PET bottle. After I check the FG, I pour the sample from the jar back in the liter bottle, then force carb it.

If you are going to have a taste, have a GOOD taste.

:rockin:

Well, even sanitized I wouldn't risk it. I mean, I guess you could do it but I don't see the benefit except to have 3 ounces more of finished beer.

But, I would NEVER toss a sample down the sink! Drink it. That's what I do.

I take a total of maybe two to three hydrometer samples over the course of a beer. One to get the OG after brewing (although I mostly use my refractometer now), and one to get the FG. Maybe one more a few days later to ensure it's finished. I drink both of those samples. Why not? I mean, it's beer!

Man smart, woman smarter. DRINK IT!

When kegging, I take a 1 liter sample, in a 1 liter PET bottle. After I check the FG, I pour the sample from the jar back in the liter bottle, then force carb it.

If you are going to have a taste, have a GOOD taste.

I kept one of those tiny glass tonic water bottles as my "sample carber". After I pull a sample, I pour it in there, put a carb cap on, chill, hit it with the gas for a bit, and have a taste.

When I do a hydrometer reading, I pull about 12-14 oz. for a sample. After I get the reading, I pour it into a 20 oz. PET bottle with a carbonator cap. Hit it with 30 psi and put it in the freezer for about 30 min. Voila, a cold, carbed sample of the beer.

Back