Can dry hopping cause this stink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
The last two batches requiring dry hopping that I have done have yielded a stinking wreck. Several months back I did a 2 hearted that I dry hopped for a week that smelled and tasted terrific going in to the keg. But, a week later when I did the first pour it it stunk up a storm - very musty and rotten is the only way I can describe it, but it's nothing like I have ever smelled and can't compare it to anything. Time (three months) did not improve this wretched ale and it thus became part of the local sewage supply - I needed the keg and it was time to move on.

Fast forward to yesterday. I kegged a gumballhead clone that had been sitting on 7 days worth of amarillo dry hopping that likewise tasted and smelled good. I had high hopes for this one. As a test I poured a small amount after only one day in the keg. Same stink, but not quite as bad, but still clearly there. I'm afraid it will just get worse.

I use a LHBS purchased hop sack that I oxyclean, rinse, rinse, and rinse again, startsan soak, wring out, then add the hops. My keg/component washing routine is repeatable and meticulous and I have done a few brews in between that came out fine.

I'm thinking this has something to do with the dry hopping. I'm at a loss and particularly concerned because I am about to start a Pliny clone that requires the mother of all dry hopping. Any ideas?

Tell us about the hops. How were they stored? Pellet or whole?

You can certainly get some "earthy" flavors from some varieties, what hops did you use?

For the gumball I used a total of 2.96 oz. for what amounted to a 4 gal batch - 1.60 oz. of that total was used for dry hopping. These were pellet and bought from my regular LHBS where they keep them in a fridge/freezer. I do the same when I get them home.

For the 2 hearted I did a 5.25 gal batch, 5.00 oz of centennial pellet, 1 oz. of which was used for dry hopping for 5 days. Bought from Austin.

I realize these can be "earthy", but there's "earthy" and then there's "rotting corpse earthy".

Different kinds and sources for the hops leads me to believe that it's not the hops. I'd suggest trying a paint strainer bag/nylon for your next dry hopping. If you could split the batch between two fermenters or kegs you could dry hop the first 1/2 without messing with the second one. Then if it works, go and do the second one. With Pliny it's a good way to go anyway since the hop aroma fades fast.

Back