Barkshack Ginger Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone, I now have the book in hand and cant wait to get it in the fermentor. Has anyone tried it without adding the fruit and if so how did it turn out????
Thanks
Red Hawke:mug:

I've made it several times with just the ginger. I have 1 bottle that's over 13 years old. I made another batch last year. It is very enjoyable.:D :drunk:

The only problem you may encounter is with non-mead drinkers. Not that your version is not good, more at they don't like mead in general.

That's OK. Their loss.:D

Homebrew 99,
We get to taste our first bottle of our Ancient Orange mead this weekend and cant wait, we tried some of the commerical types and found that I really enjoy them especially the vanilla flavored ones. The wife preferes beer but she did enjoy the vanilla mead from Redstone. I would love to brew one for her but with all the good reviews on the Barshack just thought I would give it a whirl. I wonder how it would taste with a small amount of pure vanilla added??? Anyone got any suggestions.................
Thanks
RedHawke

IMO, I think it wouldn't produce the same flavor(s) as if you had brewed with it...more like a flavored coffee...not really part of the brew, just a cover-up/added flavor.

I cracked open a straight honey (no flavoring/fruits) tonight and it was great. It's still under a year old, but I had to...:D ...2 cases remain for later...much later...;)

I have 5 gals ($20/gal) being delivered from a local apiarist (bee keeper) this week...more mead to follow...;)

I may give the Orange recipe a try. I just picked up The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm last week.

I just bottled a batch of Vanilla mead yesterday....I used vanilla beans in the primary along with vanilla extract, but strained out the beans when I racked into the secondary. Its mostly dry, with wonderful honey notes, and a smooth vanilla palate, coming right out of the secondary. I can't wait till it ages.......

I was thinking more along the lines of doing the Barshack recipe with the Vanilla addded in during the boil or in the ferm. Just a thought still plan to brew the straight Barshack recipe. :mug: :drunk:

Back