Noob Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobrewer73

Reaction score
Wow,I love this forum,theres so much useful information here.I am new to this hobby,I started a batch of cider from a simple recipe to try it out.It was very simple,only pure apple juice, yeast and a little sugar.I let it ferment for only about 10 days then drained off the dead yeast(racking?)let it sit for a few more and repeated,then i chilled it and drank it.Im on my second batch The only thing I have done different is I have added about 3 pounds of sugar to 3 gallons of cider,will this be okay?Also where can i find good cider brewing equiptment dealers(internet?)Thanks and sorry for the dumb questions.

Regular table sugar? This will put extra fermentation time on your cider. Table sugar is less readily broken down by yeast then say dextrose or DME.

Midwestsupplies.com has good stuff. and alot of it. also Northernbrewer.com

Welcome to the forums! :D

I normally don't recommend using more than 20% tops sugar addition. In general, it just tastes bad. Sure, it gives you more alcohol but in general if you want a good product keep the additions to below 20%. And in line with what Arneba mentions, it will also add time to your conditioning to mellow out the flavor of the sugar.

Back