Kaiser's Maerzen-Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
After realizing that Easter is quite early this year I decided to hold my annual Maerzen-Brew one weekend before that on March 15. This is a Saturday and the rain/snow-day will be Sunday the 16th. It is also 2 weeks before Paulthenurse's Boston Beer Brewday.

Last year's fare was BBQ pork and I may repeat that unless I come up with something more authentic German to make.

Kai

C'mon, who else is in? Anyone who hasn't had a chance yet to sample Kai's brews.... man, Ray McNeill was absolutely RAVING about them. I don't remember a lot about that night, but I do remember the term "Gold Medal" getting tossed around quite a bit.

I would love to go, but I am on thin ice with the wife right now. She thinks I am disappearing every weekend to drink beer. She is way off base, it's only been every other weekend.

Vermicous said:
I would love to go, but I am on thin ice with the wife right now. She thinks I am disappearing every weekend to drink beer. She is way off base, it's only been every other weekend.

Maintaining a positive domestic tranquility index is a delicate balance.

I'll be there.... :ban:

Oh....

Wait...........

...checking google maps...Distance = 1,221 miles, Drivetime = about 19 hours 18 mins....

Nevermind..................:(

C'mon, Boston folks! The drive ain't far. If you've got ANY interest in learning to decoct, this is a RARE OPPORTUNITY to brew with two of our resident decoction experts (I think I'm doing my EuroPils).

EDIT: Glib and Kai, not myself!

BTW, while I was lurking around on the NB board, I found that there is no free decoction mashing video available. So I decided to change that. I'm writing the script now and will be using the decoction mash of my Maerzen as the example. But I will only be covering the mash, not the whole brew.

Kai

Awesome, simple awesome. I can't wait to see the video. I am planning on decoction for my first couple of lagers and will be using a pressure canner with a pot inside, but I would love to watch a real one done again. The LHBS in Lubbock did one once and it was very interesting to say the least. Much more involvement the whole way through than just a regular single infusion mash schedule.

I've never done a decoction but am very intrigued. I look forward to the video. I think that day will have to be National Maerzen/Oktoberfest brew day as I've got my Oktoberfest brew session scheduled for that same day. This was my best beer ever last year and it disappeared in one evening. :( I rebrewed it in Nov. and will be testing it in two weeks to see if I could brew it again and then make any recipe adjustments prior to brewing two 7.5 gallon batches for this coming fall. I'll have to consider how much could change with 2 months of lagering for the remake versus 6 months for the original.

You may have to wait on observing my decoction expertise in actions.
It looks like I'll have family in town visiting that weekend. We'll likely be skiing/riding on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. If this is the case, I'll have to bow out.

I'll keep you posted.

If you want to brew and would like me to put some R/O water aside, please let me know.

Kai

I'm planning on coming out, and I'll bring my own water again (unless you want to teach me how to build some Pilsner water). I *might* not be doing the Pils now, depending on whether I have any Saaz in the freezer or not.

the_bird said:
I'm planning on coming out, and I'll bring my own water again (unless you want to teach me how to build some Pilsner water). I *might* not be doing the Pils now, depending on whether I have any Saaz in the freezer or not.

Pilsner water is simple. You can your just straight R/O or add some calcuium for the yeast.

Kai

I'll be there, not brewing however. All my equipment is in pieces right now waiting for a stand and new fermentor to be built. Let me know what time and where. Also let me know if there is any food/beer I can bring.

I sent PM with directions to brid, beergears and vermicous.

Am I missing anyone or are there others who want to come?

Kai

Looks like we will have some early snow/rain tomorrow, but it is expected to end around 10.00a. I'll still be brewing but Bird won't be able to make it.

Kai

Hey Kai,
I was hoping I could make it, but had a long weekend of work & recovery... maybe next time. I hope it went well.

I skied Stratton Friday, then rode my snowboard at Mt. Snow on Saturday and Sunday. I trust you all enjoyed yourselves brewing as much as I did making turns all weekend long. I will need to brew this week, as my stash is getting light.

paulthenurse said:
Hey Kai, how did your day go?

Only Beergears made it and it was a little rainy in the morning. I hope the turn-out for your event will be better. I plan on making a wheat since I should have my wheat malt by then.

Kai

Latest posts

Back