Is this DME suitable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeBeer

Reaction score
I'm about to order Dry Malt Extract and want to know what is it that I should be looking for while buying.
The place where I'm ordering from has malt extracts for various purposes (Baking etc).

Not sure if you can tell but wanted to know if this is good for brewing and if I can use it for various recipes.
Here are the Details I could get:
(I have no clue what most of this means, hoping someone here would):

Dry Malt Extract:
Light : Made 100% from pale malt.

Moisture: 2.01%
pH: 5.14
Acidity: 1.01%
Crude Protein: 5.10%
Reducing Sugar: 66.74%
Total Ash: 1.37%
SPC: 200
Y&M: <10

Cheers!

If it's made from 100% pale malt, I would think it would be OK for brewing. Order enough for one batch (or maybe 1/2 batch) and give it a try. Except for a few dollars, what have you got to lose?

Well I tried looking up a similar analysis on Briess DME but all I could find was this:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWPilsenLightDME.pdf

Not exactly the same analysis. I see you are in Bangalore. I'm assuming you're in India? If so, I say go for it and give it a shot. I'm sure it will be WAY cheaper than importing "proper" brewers DME! And also, Briess and other companies claim they are for food as well. Maybe start out with 1 gallon batches and just watch the OG. Perhaps you may need to use a little more of this type. Worth a shot I'd say!

Let us know how it turns out!

Well I tried looking up a similar analysis on Briess DME but all I could find was this:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CBWPilsenLightDME.pdf

Not exactly the same analysis. I see you are in Bangalore. I'm assuming you're in India? If so, I say go for it and give it a shot. I'm sure it will be WAY cheaper than importing "proper" brewers DME! And also, Briess and other companies claim they are for food as well. Maybe start out with 1 gallon batches and just watch the OG. Perhaps you may need to use a little more of this type. Worth a shot I'd say!

Let us know how it turns out!
Thank you! You're right, this is my best bet right now. Shall update this post with with the findings.

Hey, I was just thinking if the supplier would tell you who else in Bangalore orders from them, you could possibly swing by and try to buy a small amount off of them before you invest in a 50lb sack. Maybe just say you'd like to inspect the quality or something.

You'll pay more per pound for the sample but it would allow you to experiment. If you don't mind sharing, how much are they selling the 50lbs for? I completely understand where you are coming from. I just finished a little over 2 years in Central America and am now heading to Eastern Europe for 2 more. When trying to find brew supplies you have to be creative!

Hey, I was just thinking if the supplier would tell you who else in Bangalore orders from them, you could possibly swing by and try to buy a small amount off of them before you invest in a 50lb sack. Maybe just say you'd like to inspect the quality or something.

Yup tried asking for samples. But it's just a handful and they wouldn't sell less. The supplier doesn't know but I was somehow able to find from other sources out a couple of microbreweries in India buy from them. So, I'm making a calculated guess and buying it. Will let you know how it turns out :) It costs around $40.

Oh well then if you know a few breweries are using it you should be in great shape! Definitely go for it! And at $40 for 50lbs, that's not too bad a risk.

Good luck!

Hey BeBeer, how did the DME work out?

Hey Pagerage, the DME is perfect. Thank you for asking. Worked out amazingly well actually.

Here is what I brewed so far with this DME:

English Mild Pale Ale (with 75L steeping grains)
Orange Ale
Belgian Wit (along with wheat malt)

All of these turned out great.

English Mild Pale Ale:
http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachm...-white-modified-will-work-20130730_221738.jpghttp://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachments/f39/141319d1376289266-belgian-white-modified-will-work-20130730_221738.jpg

Back