Home brew review channel.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
Looking to get some input on an idea. Was thinking about starting a home brew channel on YouTube just on reviews of other people's homebrew on this site. Basically people submit a beer with there screen name and other Info little bio perhaps and I review the beer. I really like this idea because there are so many talented people on here. People that submit recipies will actually get to see a review before they decide to brew it. Ideas? Thoughts. Starting it up this week or so..

Also. I type from my phone so please excuse the horrible auto correct and bad spelling. Thanks for any input or support

So, is the idea that we send our beers to some random guy on the internet (you,) and then this random guy renders his opinion of our beer and posts it as a source of truth? Is that about the gist of it?

Do you have some kind of BJCP certification, or Cicerone credential? That might help lend credibility to what you are trying to do.

The Brewing Network just started a show with the same premise. Except that their " Random Guys on the Internet" are all BJCP judges. I like that idea better.

No certs. And yes a random guy that loves hombrew. Just an idea for people's beer on here to be seen. If people don't like it I won't do it that's cool just haven't seen anything on here about it.

Sounds great, there is another guy on YouTube that does the same, reviews, recipes, explanations equipments etc. real informative. His name is Craigtube, he has over 22k subscribers.

thejudge said:
Sounds great, there is another guy on YouTube that does the same, reviews, recipes, explanations equipments etc. real informative. His name is Craigtube, he has over 22k subscribers.

Does he do reviews from people on this website.? Was going for strictly on here. Ill check him out thank you

jonnyp1980 said:
Does he do reviews from people on this website.? Was going for strictly on here. Ill check him out thank you

Not even sure he is a member of our site(could possibly be just never heard him say so) but he is very informative. Learned a lot from his videos.

mvcorliss said:
The Brewing Network just started a show with the same premise. Except that their " Random Guys on the Internet" are all BJCP judges. I like that idea better.

Ya I'm not a BJCP and I agree it would be enticing to people if I was. Not really my angle on it. Like I said its just a vein for people that are curious about recipes and how other home brewer beers come out. If someone on here is better qualified then that would be great and I'd like to participate. Just think if this site had its own channel for people to go to and see a review that would be awesome. If people like I can post a bio about myself

thejudge said:
Not even sure he is a member of our site(could possibly be just never heard him say so) but he is very informative. Learned a lot from his videos.

Awesome. Looking him up now.

Ok so here's the idea. For the people that are interested you can email me or message me. But the idea is you send in one beer. Ill even send the shipping charge back for for the first 5 who want to do this. I receive beer and I will review it with a surprise guest. Another "random guy"who loves hombrew and brews beer themselves. This is for fun and to do something different. I will post the channel once its created under the actual YouTube name so people can subscribe on here I will only do hombrew reviews on this website alone. After a few reviews perhaps more people will join in. Also. In return ill send you a hombrew from my stash. My email is [email protected]

@ the judge. Oh ya I've seen a lot of his videos actually I've used some of his techniques to help me starting out. Never subscribed to him but I did now.

Thanks for all the PMs. I gathered from the collective and I guess what i will fdo is ill create the channel and start doing reviews on mine and my friends home brews. Start small and see if I can get a a little following. From there if people like and want to see their beer reviewed and shown to the people on this website they can send in one beer from their batch. Anyhoo thanks for the replies and I'll put it up when it's ready. Cheers.

Defiantly let us know, I'd be glad to send a fellow HB some of my beer to critique( that's if my friends don't keep drinking it all lol)

thejudge said:
Defiantly let us know, I'd be glad to send a fellow HB some of my beer to critique( that's if my friends don't keep drinking it all lol)

Awesome. Ya I think we can get it up this week and do a review on one of our own in two weeks time. First video should be fun. Ill leave info at the end of the video for those who want to send in. Thanks for the positive input.

I see what you are doing... getting us to send our preciuos homebrew for you to drink free :D
Seriously I think some people will do it, as you said start the channel and review some local homebrewers beer. The more folloowing you get the more chance you will get others to send in. Don't be put off be anyone whos say they would never send you beer as there is likely people that also like sharing there beer with anyone that is willing. Check out some of the homebrew Wednesday videos (not fully up on it but seems like a youtube thing where a whole lot of homebrewers post brewing videos on Wednesday each week).
Good luck!

mattd2 said:
I see what you are doing... getting us to send our preciuos homebrew for you to drink free :D
Seriously I think some people will do it, as you said start the channel and review some local homebrewers beer. The more folloowing you get the more chance you will get others to send in. Don't be put off be anyone whos say they would never send you beer as there is likely people that also like sharing there beer with anyone that is willing. Check out some of the homebrew Wednesday videos (not fully up on it but seems like a youtube thing where a whole lot of homebrewers post brewing videos on Wednesday each week).
Good luck!

Thanks man that's great. I will def check out the homebrew Wednesday stuff. I was thinking that when someone sends in a beer from a batch that it would have a little bio about the person, the process that beer had to go through to get to its finished product. I was thinking some helpful hints to intro to brewing and mistakes we have all made. I think it will be fun and it will be for people on this website. Can't use the name HBT I'm sure. But ill try to come up with something. Again thank you for positive feedback..

I like the youtube beer reviews that the Beer Geek Nation guys do...especially Stumpy Joe Jr out in San Diego...but the reason I like those reviews is because they are reviewing commercial beers that I can try myself. It could be a good idea if you find enough people willing to go through the trouble and willing to pay the expensive shipping costs, but I'm personally not interested in watching a channel where a guy reviews another guy's homebrew that I will never get to try. As far as getting an outside opinion on my homebrew...I have plenty of friends who are homebrewers and beer nerds to never have to worry about that. Good luck, though...can't blame you for wanting to set something up where people send you beer for free.

Dave1096 said:
I like the youtube beer reviews that the Beer Geek Nation guys do...especially Stumpy Joe Jr out in San Diego...but the reason I like those reviews is because they are reviewing commercial beers that I can try myself. It's a good idea if you find enough people willing to go through the trouble and willing to pay the expensive shipping costs, but I wouldn't really be interested in watching a channel where a guy reviews another guy's homebrew that I will never get to taste. As far as getting an outside opinion on my homebrew...I have plenty of friends who are homebrewers and beer nerds to never have to worry about that. Good luck, though...can't blame you for wanting to set something up where people send you beer for free.

I totally agree and I can watch those videos till sun down ( that sounded dorkish ) I still do watch them. Even though ill probably never try pliny the elder :( but again its one beer to ship and have their beer shown on here. I also wanted the recipe so I can show it in the description so if myself or my brewing friend or friends find it to be a must brew you can. I really want to put out I don't want people to get the idea that I'm just snoozing for beer. I make a ton of it so do my friends. I'm surrounded by good breweries. I don't need people's beer to just have them. It's for everyone plus I want to do something fun and make videos for this site that has help me and many others.

I totally agree and I can watch those videos till sun down ( that sounded dorkish ) I still do watch them. Even though ill probably never try pliny the elder :( but again its one beer to ship and have their beer shown on here. I also wanted the recipe so I can show it in the description so if myself or my brewing friend or friends find it to be a must brew you can. I really want to put out I don't want people to get the idea that I'm just snoozing for beer. I make a ton of it so do my friends. I'm surrounded by good breweries. I don't need people's beer to just have them. It's for everyone plus I want to do something fun and make videos for this site that has help me and many others.

Posting the recipe with the video makes alot of sense. I like the idea...good luck with it.

BTW Pliny the Elder is a good beer for sure but nothing mind blowing. It was a IIPA pioneer and way ahead of its time when it first came out, but the craft beer scene has caught up with it. Don't lose any sleep over not having access to it...there's just as good or better IPAs available in just about every market.

Dave1096 said:
Posting the recipe with the video makes alot of sense. I like the idea...good luck with it.

BTW Pliny the Elder is a good beer for sure but nothing mind blowing. It was a IIPA pioneer and way ahead of its time when it first came out, but the craft beer scene has caught up with it. Don't lose any sleep over not having access to it...there's just as good or better IPAs available in just about every market.

Ya right on.
I'm sure Pliny is not as good as all the hype but its a beer cannot get so its more the allure. Zombie dust I lusted for many months and before eBay shut the whole alcohol thing down I snagged a six pack. Well worth it. Damn good beer.

Sounds like you might be on to something, I will have to tell you though putting your critical comments out there, you better not have a thin skin.

Someone asked me if I would review homebrews from others on my channel, and I am not so sure I would do it.

There are a lot of people reviewing drink online on YTube (such as our hero here..)

try to think of an angle or something that nobody else is doing, maybe homebrews is it??? best of luck.

imbibehour said:
Sounds like you might be on to something, I will have to tell you though putting your critical comments out there, you better not have a thin skin.

Someone asked me if I would review homebrews from others on my channel, and I am not so sure I would do it.

There are a lot of people reviewing drink online on YTube (such as our hero here..)

try to think of an angle or something that nobody else is doing, maybe homebrews is it??? best of luck.

That was me man! I asked lol. Ya I visit this site so much. All the recipes all the new brewers on here I though man wouldn't it be cool to have someone that just critiqued homebrew from people on here. From a home brew beer lovers angle. Share the recipe give it the thumbs up or perhaps ways to improve it. Give tips on my mistakes others have made. More so myself. I Like your channel by the way. But I think it will be good. My friend just said he's in so ya. Stoked. Thanks again for the positive feedback on this

My friend that's doing the review with me gets back from his monthly military training next week. Was waiting for him but we should have our first review next week or so. We will be reviewing our beers to get it started. We have not tried each others yet so it should be good. Just an update incase anyone was wondering. Thanks again for the messages.

Johnnyhamer said:
Messaged you. Also ask people to include the recipe when sending beer.

Absolutely. Recipes will be required along with a little bio, problems during brewing or things they felt went well in brewing the beer. Thanks for the input.

seigex said:
Sounds like a scam to get a bunch of free beer... can't say I blame you though ... nice try :mug:

Not a scam although I don't blame the raised eyebrow. Like I said before we will review our beers first. Tell everyone about us. Our experience brewing the beer our mistakes in making it or advice to tweak it. Post the recipe. Perhaps a lesson of the day. We will pick from emails to do a review on one beer a week or one beer every two? That way we don't have a bunch of beers sent in just sitting around getting old.

So if you to send him some beer that's great, I hope he reviews you favorably, but to be clear HBT has nothing to do with it, so if you don't get a review I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do.

Just a quick disclaimer.

You should also create some kind of a "scoresheet" to document your review and post it on HBT. Doesn't necessarily have I have a score, but would address all the things covered Ina BJCP scoresheet. That way we could all comment on potential ways to improve the beer.

You could also try to get some sponsors to donate some items for prizes to encourage people to send in samples. Maybe all who send you a sample in a given month could be entered on a drawing for the prize.

bumstigedy said:
you should also create some kind of a "scoresheet" to document your review and post it on hbt. Doesn't necessarily have i have a score, but would address all the things covered ina bjcp scoresheet. That way we could all comment on potential ways to improve the beer.

You could also try to get some sponsors to donate some items for prizes to encourage people to send in samples. Maybe all who send you a sample in a given month could be entered on a drawing for the prize.

+1

Perhaps try to guess the hops and malt before reading them. Might help you "sharpen" your taste buds.

TxBrew said:
So if you to send him some beer that's great, I hope he reviews you favorably, but to be clear HBT has nothing to do with it, so if you don't get a review I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do.

Just a quick disclaimer.

Is ok to give a shout out to your site? I have no sponsors not really thinking like that at this point in time. I have a few local homebrew stores I want to give shout outs to too. Perhaps they'd donate some prizes. Thanks for posting and clarifying your position. was going to contact you before I posted the first video.

bumstigedy said:
You should also create some kind of a "scoresheet" to document your review and post it on HBT. Doesn't necessarily have I have a score, but would address all the things covered Ina BJCP scoresheet. That way we could all comment on potential ways to improve the beer.

I like the idea of score sheets I will use them. Also I have a few local homebrew store I can ask for donations for beer of the month or best clone. Thanks for the help

Johnnyhamer said:
Perhaps try to guess the hops and malt before reading them. Might help you "sharpen" your taste buds.

I am always learning. I will definitely be going over all aspects of the beer. The pour, clarity smell. Ect... Thanks for the input.

Is ok to give a shout out to your site? I have no sponsors not really thinking like that at this point in time. I have a few local homebrew stores I want to give shout outs to too. Perhaps they'd donate some prizes. Thanks for posting and clarifying your position. was going to contact you before I posted the first video.

That's fine. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ok so it took a bit but I put together a YouTube Chanel the name was tricky but I went with homebrewersreview. The email for the youtube page was taken so I had to use [email protected]. Nothing is on it yet, my friend comes back from military training tomorrow. I'm fine tuning the pictures and whatnot on the page but feel free to subscribe early or if you want us to review your beer in the future shoot an email..but for now stay tuned for our first review. Thanks again for the support.

Back