warm weather brewing....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CG72

Reaction score
I've made 20 something batches over the last few months. And all is well. So my question is as the weather warms up, how do I maintain good clean brew sessions? I'm worried the warmer weather might greatly increase the chances of a bad / infected brew. Any advice?

How so? I brew in FL summers around 95 degrees. Once the boil is done an you're cooling your wort just cover it. Then get it in the ac soon after. If you leave it out long or ferment outside maybe but I think you're ok.

Flies and other bugs are an issue. I keep a screen on my BK when I can. I hate having to fish flies out of the wort. Even had a wasp in there once.

I don't really change my brewing practices for warmer weather and I haven't had an issue. There are more bugs around but fortunately they haven't been an issue yet.

Don't stand over the pot while brewing during the summer. Or just name it Sweat and Blood Ale

Screen over the pot is a good idea if there are a lot of bugs.

I've made 20 something batches over the last few months. And all is well. So my question is as the weather warms up, how do I maintain good clean brew sessions? I'm worried the warmer weather might greatly increase the chances of a bad / infected brew. Any advice?
Just wondering why you think warm weather will introduce problems to your batches? If you have the means to ferment at 68 F you should not have a problem.

Chill your wort as quickly as you can. Get it below 80 minimum as a worst case. I shoot for 68-70 & I live in Atlanta.
I use a pre-chiller w/ my CFC & can get the job done in under 10 minutes.

You shouldnt have any problems with infections as long as you continue to follow strict sanitation practices.

Summer months are great for brewing saisons.

I brew in Gilbert AZ, my house is 78-80 degrees in the summer time with the A/C pumping. I Put My fermentation bucket in a large pot of water cooled with ice to maintain 70-74 degrees.

I cool it down to 90'F outside, bring it in and then dunk the fermentation bucket into a cooler with 60' water in it. Let it chill for 30 minutes then pitch.

And if your lucky enough to have a basement I just set my primary fermenter down on the basement floor and my fermentations stay in the low to mid 60's. I use a 6 gallon glass carboy for my primary so I can watch all the action going on with the yeast fermenting. It also conducts the ambient temperature well into the fermenting wort. When I didn't have a basement I just put the glass carboy fermenter into a larger container partially filled with water and I'd add 2 liter frozen water bottles to the water as needed to cool the fermentation temperature of the wort as needed. I had no problems with fermentation. As far as the boil went, I practiced my normal procedures and practiced good sanitation all around. I don't use any open primary fermentation. I've had no problems fermenting ales like this.

Back