What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled the RIS I brewed back on 10-28 of last year (the day Sandy came ashore) and it ended up with a final gravity of 1.015 and an ABV of 11.15%! :rockin:

Also added an ounce of UK Kent Goldings to my English IPA for a week of dry hopping.

Did some research and legwork for insulating a sanke mash tun conversion. I gotta weld a patch over the bullet hole in the bottom first!!! The things rednecks do at a kegger in the sticks, sheesh!!

Finally got around to bottling my sorta Jubelale clone I brewed on 1/22 (so much more work than kegging); ordered a 3-way CO2 distributor; finished moving all (except keggle and burner) my brewing gear into the room recently vacated by my youngest son. I put up a large shelving unit and organized all of my gear, plus have space for kegs, bottled beer, fermentors, swamp coolers, etc. I am giddy like a school girl.

I picked up a properly-sized funnel, a pound of chocolate, and another Rogue Morimoto kit. My first five-gallon kit, I felt that this was my first real failure, after the success of my IPA.

I am about to get some dinner, but then I will spray a carboy to keep out the light.

I received my corona grain mill, finished my mash tun, and bought all the goodies for my first all grain brew. Airborneguy's sunshower apple wheat!

I know it's not beer but I just bottled my JAOM - just about outta money in recognition of sequestration day. Bouyaa

Brewed Hefe
Put away 1600lbs of grain
Updated brew schedule
Designed another session beer
Had a meeting with the boss
Surfed the web

I ordered ingredients for a PM NZ IPA. Gotta use up some NZ hops from last july. Also ordered a new capper,the super agata,super moss,& a dial thermometer for heating sparge water whil;e the floating thermometer is in the mash tun.

Bought the following:

5 lb CO2 tank
Used corny keg
Digital temp controller
Assorted kegging necessities
Brewers Best American Amber kit

Tomorrow? The fridge to hold it all!

Connected my new 4 port co2 manifold to my original 2 port manifold with a close nipple. Spent the next hour fixing leaks from almost all of the connections on the new manifold. Picked up the parts to make a BMBF and grains to do a clone of Surly Coffee Bender.

It was a good day on the homebrew front. I visited a LHBS shop that I just found. It is actually really close and well-stocked, which means supplies just got a whole lot easier. I picked up some Nottingham and Red Star Montrachet yeast.

I'm headed back to work on Monday so I worked on getting my primaries busy. I just brewed up a fresh 2.5 gallon batch of an English honey ale partial mash recipe (basically an ESB with 0.5 lbs of honey to boost the kick and cut the maltiness, kinda like the Obama Brew, we'll see how it goes). And since everyone has been raving about EdWort's apfelwein recipe and it was dead-easy to make, I grabbed a gallon of apple juice, subbed out the corn sugar with honey, and mixed up a gallon of that. I'll hopefully be busy enough to not be counting airlock bubbles for the next few weeks.

I've got about thirty 12 oz homebrews conditioning in my hot water heater room (~72F) and the first few good ones should be ready for the fridge this week. I'm looking forward to cracking one on Friday!

I picked up a properly-sized funnel, a pound of chocolate, and another Rogue Morimoto kit. My first five-gallon kit, I felt that this was my first real failure, after the success of my IPA.

I am about to get some dinner, but then I will spray a carboy to keep out the light.

I sprayed both 1-gallon carboys with black spray-on bed-liner. It does the job well, but after the fermentation, I'll rough up the glass, and spray it down again.

What I didn't expect to do was brew the Rogue, and then brew 1 gallon of my own recipe - 4:1 of Maris Otter to choc-rye. 3 oz. of Amarillo over an hour, with Safale US-05. Fermenting nicely, with a healthy blow-back. I expect to rack to secondary on 3/8, possibly brew another original - 5 Gambrinus ESB, pepper, grains o' paradise, and then Citra bomb, ending with a Wyeast Irish Ale pitch.

Soaked bottles in a tub of oxiclean to wash and remove labels. Preparing for bottling. Being proactive... Hooray!

Bottled my IPA.

image-2996259300.jpg

I bottled ten of 15 gallons of a black ipa i brewed. Also, I brewed a brown ale.

I just transferred my Ruination clone to the secondary for dry hopping. I used 2 oz of Centennial. I put each ounce into separate bags and added sanitized marbles, but they still float to the top. I guess I need more weight. I'll make it a point to push them down with the racking cane.

Transferred my Kolsch to secondary and washed the yeast. I'll be brewing a second batch in the near future.

Tasted my all grain version of Caribou Slobber after 3 weeks bottle conditioning. Man, this stuff never disappoints. I like it much better than the extract version and I know it will continue to improve with more aging. Awesome beer!

I checked & recorded the temps on both fermenters with WL029 yeast. The light one is at 68F,the dark at 66.2F. Good to go so far. Got some more Hopped & Confusedv1 going into fridge so I can clean a few more empties & start refilling the case with clean empties for next time.

Cleaned two kegs, kegged 10 gallons of Centennial Blonde, washed the yeast, brewed 5.5 gallons of oatmeal coffee brown (Surly Coffee Bender-ish). Everything cleaned and put away in 4.5 hours, serious multitasking.

I am brewing another Marblehead lager using my brand new bayou burner that is probably the best thing I have bought for brewing yet! It is so Mich better than my pos electric stove that can barely maintain a rolling boil on 3.5 gallons of water. I can't wait till I get a larger pot and I can do full boils.

Kegged 5 gallons of rye IPA. Worked on emptying some bottles of beer taking up space in the fridge. And now washing the San Diego Super yeast I used for the rye IPA.

Not much today,looked at my 3 fermenters and changed
the blow off water on my batch from yesterday.Gotta
clean 100 bottles tomorrow though.

Cheers

What I did for beer today? How about what beer did for me today! Brewed, kegged and drank.

Was yesterday but brewed a Flanders Red with Nordeast. Great brew day and very excited to see what it becomes in a year or so.

Bottled by flat tire clone. Had to clean everything and broke my bottling bucket so I had to use my mash tun to bottle

Wife picked me up a 12 pack of Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA. Emjoying it now. Warms the blood a bit after running around most of the day. Bright & really cold here today.

I thought about cleaning two kegs. I never got to the actual cleaning. I opened a Bell's Hopslam instead.

Killed a keg and am currently soaking it in Oxy. Hooked up another keg. Purchased parts to make a keezer temperature control (for my as yet to be purchased freezer).

I learned that dryhopping in the keg with 4 oz.'s of pellets, in a knee high, will swell up and make a huge hop sausage.

Back